Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New CD: There Are No Accidents

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassist4Life, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I placed an order through your e-store earlier this evening for your new CD. I heard some sound samples at CD Baby and loved them; very lyrical.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joe,
    Thanks so very much, it is on the way.

Mike

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    My wife called me at work today to let me know that your CD has arrived. That was FAST!

Joe

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Let me know what you think. My sax players Mom said to him, that she really loved the CD and thought it was nice that he was getting out of his "rut" - :)

MIke

5. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    Mike, could you please post a link to pick up some of your cds/dvds/books or anything you have? They may be around here somewhere, but I'm new around here and can't find them.

I also wanted to say that although I've never met you, I can tell you're an awesome person by all the help you give and time you spend helping anyone who asks.

Thanks again :bassist:

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks so much for the kind words. You can find a lot of info at my website www.michaeldimin.com

There are links to lessons, sound clips and some videos. Please let me know what you think.

Mike

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    I am diggin the CD very much. The case is out in the car so I can't refer to track titles. I have listened to the CD around 25 times so far. It's my primary commuting music at the moment. Nice variety of instruments on the recording: Bass, guitar, sax, piano/organ, and drums. The way melodies are passed from instrument to instrument is so cool. The bass grooves, then steps out front for 32 bars (when I was counting). I love the tone of your bass Mike! I also love the stuff your guitarist is doing, he's a monster musician! Question: What kind of drums were used for the recording? The sax player shows great control and just sings through his instrument. Is the sax player a younger guy?

What percentage of the music was notated vs. improvised? I know this is a weird question, but I am curious.

IMO, the CD has an overall relaxed feel to it. It creates a nice atmosphere (great for the commute). It keep my attention. It's hard for me to say that about some music I hear. Your CD begs to be listened to. This CD isn't for people that want to hear a bassist tear off strings with his thumb. This CD is about the music.

Joe

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Joe,
    Thanks. I am so glad that you like it. The Guitarist, Mark Dziuba is one of the best msuicians I have ever known. His playing is so original. He has great ears and really plays off the rest of the band, especially Eric, in this case. I don't usually like to work with guitarists, but I love to work with Mark. He is also one of the funniest guys you will ever meet.

The Sax Player, Eric Walentowicz is pretty young. I dig his playing because he has such a great melodic sense. He is much more of a linear player than many of the players today who are more anglular in their melodic development. When it comes right down to it, I like players whose lines you can sing.

The band was given lead sheets, that's all. We did some talking about what I heard, but I hired the musicians that I know would bring to the music what I envisioned - call it good planning.

The MTD basses were played direct through a Massenburg preamp. I met George Massenburg at NAMM and had to thank him for what he did.

Finally, The engineer, bassist Scott Petito (remember The Fugs, he was their bassist) did a great job of mastering the CD and making it sound really warm.

Mike

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One more thing - The drums are hand percussion played by Brian Melick (www.uduboy.com). Brian and I also do some duo work.

Mike

10. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hey Michael - the CD showed up today - very nice work. The song "There are no Accidents" sounds very familiar. Is it possible it's being played anywhere already - car commercial maybe? ;)

Since both my wife and I are originally from Albany - we got into a little debate about where the cover photo of your CD was shot. The wife says Saratoga - I say Albany. Who wins this one?

Again, great work Michael - a terrific recording with great songs!

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There Are No Accidents s on the TB Sampler. If anyone else is using it, they didn't tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Ah - most people think it is Saratoga - It's actually Newbury Street in Boston

Mike

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Songs from the Cd (or the entire CD) can now be downloaded from Sony Connect (you need internet explorer). You can download it here

Mike

13. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Hmmm. I don't have the TB sampler - so that's not where I might have heard it. I can't place it - great piece though!

So we were BOTH wrong about the cover. I guess that means we owe you dinner!

I chose Albany cuz that sidewalk seemed WAY too wide for Saratoga - plus the building in the background looked too big.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks - it's my personal favorite. Perhaps the familiarity comes in it's simplicity -the melody is just a major scale (either that or I plagerized it from the latest 50 cent classic)

I think I'll be in San Rafael next week ... :D

I think once you know it's Newbury Street, you realize it couldn't be anywhere else

Mike

15. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Business or pleasure?

16. Hi Mike,

After having ordered Big Droppins and The Chordal Approach some months ago, and immensly enjoying them both - I've just ordered There Are No Accidents through your website.

I look forward to recieving it!

:)

Thanks,

Luke.

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Let me know when it arrives. I always have a bit of trepidation about packages making it to other countries. Although I've had very little issues sending stuff to Aus (1 or 2), I cringe every time an order needs to be sent to Italy

Mike

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hi Mike,
    I just ordered your No Accidents CD bundle with the chordal approach booklet. I'm studying chordal approach with my teacher and I used a transcription of yours from Bassics magazine as an example of what I'd like to do and he loved it.The booklet will benefit the both of us. Can't wait to hear the CD.

19. Hi Mike,

Just to let you know that the CD arrived at my house today in excellent condition. Very fast postage too ;)

I'm enjoying it as we speak!

I love Too Hot, Way Too Hot!

Great work!

Best Regards,

Luke.