Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New CD with Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbrad, Mar 26, 2002.

1. There is a new Michel Camilo CD on Telarc titled 'Triangulo' that was recorded 8/1-6/2001 if you are looking for some fresh Anthony J. As usual no solo but there are some nice interplay sections between AJ , Michel and drummer Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Cool; thanks for the tip- It's on my list for pick-up.

One of my favorites by AJ is "Flight to Freedom"
    on the CD of the same name by Arturo Sandoval.

There's some other good stuff on there as well.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    On "Flight to Freedom", AJ plays on the first two tracks, including the title track, written by Danilo Perez. The bassist on the other tracks is Nicky Orta, who does some outstanding playing, with great latin, funk, & jazz feels- awesome!
    But, AJ is in a class by himself! The basswork on
    "Flight to Freedom" is so friggin' profound it hurts!!
    AJ plays with impeccable tone & movement, really
    ultra-intelligent stuff, yet it rocks the whole damn ensemble- He is a Master x 2.
    This particular CD was Sandoval's 1st as a leader after he split from Cuba- He is the consumate musician with chops from classical to the badddest funk- This CD is IMO particularly tasty. Give it a listen!

4. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    Hey thanks, I am always looking for more AJ. Anybody know if he is touring with anyone right now?

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I don't know- I wasn't even aware that AJ would go on tour- He's got the right to stay in the studio and record his great playing!
    Couple of recordings that come to mind-
    "The Leprechaun" w/ Chick Corea,
    &
    on "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen- AJ plays on a remake of "Ruby, Baby" and does his thing so well-

There's an interview of him I read in a collection called "Bass Heroes" or somethin' that gets very into where he is at-
    He has some very profound things to say re:
    styles, music, technique- what a mind!
    I think he is too often overlooked when Fender players are mentioned- He brings subtlety & taste to an art!

6. tnb

tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
    I caught him a 3 years ago at a free concert in the park in Providence, RI. He was playing with Roland Vasquez and Mark Soskin. Of course they kicked ass. I also saw him in Boston with Micheal Camillo and Dave Weckle - also incredible. I am sure he picks his gigs carefully.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yeh, thanks for the reminder! AJ is also on a CD I've got by Roland Vasquez called "further DANCE"
    I've already gushed enuff about him so -interesting thing about this CD is that it was recorded direct, one time, live mix- 'one-two-three-go!" : on two-track!!!Of course they pull it off like the muthas they are!
    I envy you seeing AJ play live- as much as I watch the live scene here in LA,which is pretty impressive, I've yet to see his name on a tour- I would be there in a NY minute!
    You're right, I'm sure a player of his status decides when and with whom he wants to pack his bags for.