Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Celinder Update 5 on the way...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJung, Jan 16, 2006.

1. This thread is a little early, since I won't get the bass until Friday. Glenn Kawamoto (Austin Bass Exchange) is getting the bass from Chris Celinder at NAMM this week and shipping to me for Friday delivery.

I just wanted to post because I just got word of delivery (and I'm excited!), and also because there's not a lot of familiarity with or opportunity to see/play these wonderful basses in the US.

I currently have an amazing Update 5 (Cobalt Blue 'clear coat' finish with AAAAA birdseye maple neck and board). It's my main gigging bass for the pop/funk gigs I typically play. I like the bass so much, that I wanted a second one to use as my 'road' bass (long story... I have two rigs in different cities). I found myself really missing my Celinder when I used my 'out of town' rig... so I took steps to remedy that situation:hyper:

The Update model is meant to capture the classic '70's J Bass on Steroids' sort of sound, and if any of you have checked out the soundclips on Chris's web site... it really delivers (the soundclips are programmed, but the bass sounds are 'real'). There is a price to pay... it's a big, heavy honkin' beast... full size 70's J body made of medium weight ash... but it delivers the goods.

My new Celinder will be very 'traditional'... natural finish on the ash body, standard maple neck with mother-of-pearl blocks and binding, and a perloid pickguard (I also had Chris ship a black pickguard with the bass)... kind of a 'Marcus' sort of look. It will again have the wonderful Greengrove preamp, this time with the passive/active switch upgrade.

I will post a few pictures this weekend.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you, i am a BIG fan of that Celinder sound. I did not know Chris would be at NAMM- i had all but decided to skip it this year because i have so much going on at home, but man, i would really love to check them out- there are absolutely no 5's to be had in the US.
    just the same, i am not sure my back could handle a heavy bass like that, but man, they sure sound great.
    congrats on the bass, bro. i'm a little jealous...

3. Hey... the heck with all this bass stuff... more importantly....it's great that you are feeling better! Good to hear from you.

Yeah, my Celinder makes my Sadowsky NYC feel like a little toy (although it also sounds wonderful in a different way). However, as you know, if you really want to do the funk, there's nothing like a big old honkin' piece of ash and a maple neck/board with a finish on it.

All the best to you,

Ken

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    NOooooooooooooooooo,

so unfair! you already have one, dangnabbit!!!

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Any Pictures Kjung?

I'll see if I can find it at the show :eek:

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ken, Congrats on the new bass! Is their a GTG coming up or something? Because you usually get all your new basses right before a GTG.:D

7. Very Cool.
    It's nice that Celinder makes the passive/Active switch now

Enjoy it and play the funk out of it :bassist:

-Christian

8. No pictures yet... I haven't even seen it yet. If you see it at the show, let me know! Otherwise, I'll post a couple pics over the weekend assuming it arrives on Friday.

K

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds nice...looking forward to pictures and your review!

Marshall

10. Thanks... I'm interested in A/Bing the two Updates. It's interesting that some bass lines are very consistent (e.g., I've played quite a few J Bass style Sadowsky's.... rosewood boards, ash bodies, maple boards, alder bodies, etc.) and they all sound very, very similar to me. On the other hand, I've played a number of MTD's which were so different sounding that you wouldn't have realized they were the same bass line if you hadn't been told.

I have a feeling the Celinder's will be pretty similar (I hope so anyway)!.

11. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK

Attached Files:

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having played Ken's blue Update 5, I found myself hooked as well. Which is why I also have a Celinder Update 5 coming through Glenn! :D My cherryburst Celinder should be here a couple of weeks (or so) after Ken's new one. :hyper:

Look forward to the pics, Glenn!

Tom.

13. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've just got a few e-mails from Chris about NAMM.. I wish I could make it this year... I've been loving and gigging the hell out of my Shoreline Gold Vintage 5....:bassist:
    I've been getting the jones to get another, but I'm planning on getting a few different things this year.. I just picked up a Benavente 51 P 5 string a few months back, next is a Lakland DJ-5 and then a Roscoe SKB 6 string...:hyper:

14. I'm not that familiar with the Roscoe's (I've only played one and it was very nice)... but you will LOVE the DJ-5.... warm and growly... the neck profile is a little chunky up at the nut compared to most J style 5's, but I would think it's easy to get used to. Amazing bass.... I have a feeling I'll take the plunge on one eventually.

15. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I like living in Denmark.. :D

16. :D I'd love to visit sometime!

17. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Man, we got loads of Celinders floating around.. Sometimes we find them in garbage cans.. :smug:

Anyways..

If you plan to visit, make sure to take a tour to Morch Guitars. I'll gladly be your guide.. ;)

18. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Whoops.. Sorry! I forgot to congratulate you! Congratulations! :D

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've been wanting to visit Denmark as well...:hyper: