Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New chassifan.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The fan on my Ashdown is kind of loud. Could it be changed to an ordinary silent computerfan?
    What should I think of? What fanspeed is best etc?

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You could change the fan... but for the most part, less noise means less air flow, and less air flow means a hotter amp, and a hotter amp doesn't live as long as a cool one.

You could try isolating the fan's vibration from the amp's chassis with rubber bushings, etc. This won't quiet it by much, but it won't affect air flow at all.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hasn´t anyone done this?

If I add a fan with the same speed, but of higher quality (quieter), wouldn´t it cool the amp the same?:confused:

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I just did some research on fans before putting a couple into a rack case I made.

Most of them produce about 30-35db. This seems to be an industry standard regardless of what size or displacement the fan is. And they all seem to operate at about 3000 - 3500 rpm.

Apparently the 12v fans (run with an adapter) quiter than the ones that are run with power from the outlet (240v here in australia).

Seems the only way to shut your fan up is to turn it off (not recommeneded). But I'd be very surprised if you can hear your fan while you're playing. Maybe it's getting noisier coz it's got some gunk in there that should be cleaned out?

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't think anyone would think any fan is loud if you heard my computer. The damn thing pretty much makes my ears ring, especially when the cd rom is going full speed :eek: wow....its damn loud.

the fan on my amp is quiet as hell.....well compared to my 'puter anyway :meh:

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I recently bought a new fan for my computer and that´s what got me thinking. But you are right, I cant hear the fan while playing. But on the other hand EBS´s amps are really quiet. I think there fans are adjusted by the amps temperature somehow while the one in my Ashdown is on full speed all the time.

7. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    I have a MAG250, and the fan in that seems to make a kind of low whistling noise, as well as the fan noise too... its almost a case of the fan placement, like its blowing through some components and causing the noise, so it may be just the positioning of the fan... And I would still choose Ashdown even with the fan thingy, cos its not that notcable ;) hehe

DC :)