Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Chick Corea DVD's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Those of you that are in the know may already be aware of this but Chick Corea has two new DVD's that are available.

They are:
    • Chick Corea Elektric Band - Live at Montreux 2004
    • Chick Corea Akoustic Band - Live in Munich 1986

The Elektric Band is Chick with Frank Gambale, Eric Marienthal, John Patitucci and Dave Weckl.

The Akoustic Band is Chick with John Patitucci and Dave Weckl.

Needless to say, I can't wait to pick these up!! I've often wondered if the clips of the EB from Weckls' site were pulled from DVD footage. Gonna be very cool to see John and Dave playing together in two different but equally amazing situations. Two of my favorite musicians on the same album.

Pick these up!! :hyper:

2. I've heard great things about Weckl, but never heard him play. I've also heard that Pattituchi is an amazing acoustic player but I've only heard him play electric. This should be good, I think I'll have to get both.

BTW-I never heard of the other 2 guys in the electric band, what do they play?

3. Oh believe me, Weckl is amazing!! www.daveweckl.com

John is equally amazing at the acoustic and electric. You owe it to yourself to check out his playing.

Frank Gambale is the guitar player and Eric Marienthal is the sax player. Both great musicians.

4. Awesome. I know from Return To Forever that Chick is awesome, and I've seen/heard a handfull of Patitucci's stuff and I know he's awesome too. I can't even imagine these guys together, plus the rest of the undoubtedy incredible band. Thanks for the tip man, I have to get this.

5. No problem! Just spreading the word of good music. :)

You can see some small clips of the EB DVD on Dave Weckls' website. It looks great.

6. When I go to Weckl's web site, I can't get through any of the links. LIke I put the mouse cursor over the thing that says "Performance" and a few little things pop up, but I can't click on anything. Nothing happens. Is it the site or my computer?

7. This is what I do to get to the clips:

daveweckl.com
    click on performance
    in the lower left hand box, click on chick corea
    click on elektric band 2004

You should be able to get the clips from there.

8. Yeah, but nothing happens when I click on Performance. If I just hover the mouse pointer over the word performance, a box pops up with a list of bands but nothing happens when I click on them. It just stays the same.

9. Hey Bernie

You just beat me to this post !! :D

I've ordered the Elektric Band DVD and I will try to remember and post something when I've received and played it.

I will say that band is smokin' !!!

Cheers

Nick

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Also out domestically now (rather than as a $200 dollar Japanese import) is Chick's 10 DVD 'Rendezvous in New York', reuniting him with Gary Burton, The Akoustic Trio, The 'Now He Sings, Now He Sobs' trio and other lineups from over the years - no electric bands though.

Think you can pick this up in the States for $70 or so, which isn't bad for 10 DVDs.

11. Sounds good, Nick! Let me know what you think of it.

12. I want to pick this up as well. Sounds like a great collection.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would love to see the Three Quartets band(Mike Brecker, Gadd, & Gomez), Origin, & the NHSNHS trio.
    I've seen it advertised as low as $90...$70? I may have to go there.

I thought about the Elektric Band DVD; somewhere I have a VHS tape of '90s Jacksonville Jazz Fest EB performance...it was happenin'.

Akoustic Band? IMHO, the best they ever sounded(on record) is the time Vinnie sat in for Weckl. Check out the Live At The Tokyo Blue Night cd. "Humpty Dumpty"? Corea & Patitucci sound like they're hanging on for dear life!
    ;)

14. Vinnie definitely rocks. Dave's playing is my favorite but they can both lay down a phat groove. I'll have to look for that album.

Thanks, Jim.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1
    Also, a couple years ago I picked up a RTF collection of their early stuff[even though I have every CD] because it had three unreleased songs with Steve Gadd in the band along with Bill Conners....smokin'!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Is your browser set to block pop ups?

Tom Kennedy on the Weckl site. . . .Holy smokes:eek:

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think I may have that Akoustic Band concert on LaserDisc. Really nice. "Morning Sprite" is my favorite. I just saw the Electrik Band on their last tour and they were phenominal. I find complicated music like this and King Crimson to be so much more accessible live.

18. Anybody pick it up yet?

19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I have the Live in Montreaux Electrik Band. I got it yesterday and have not been able to watch the whole thing as it's quite long. I'm not really into this style of music anymore and have never much listened to Chic much but I enjoy watching this style of music getting played live. It's a great DVD. The sound and picture quality is very nice. The playing is incredible and John get's a lot of room. Very entertaining and a great value.

20. Thanks, Peter.

I ordered it from my local Barnes & Noble today so I should get it soon!