New Christopher Busetto Hybrid pics . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FidgetStone, Feb 14, 2004.

1. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Hey fellow DBer's . . . I'm a proud new Papa. :hyper: Here are some shots of my new baby Christy. She is only three weeks old, but like my human children, shows great promise.
  2. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Here is one more shot from the back . . . . :)
  3. driedleaves

driedleaves Guest

Dec 26, 2003
    Wow, it's really beautiful, congrats!

...Plus, you don't have to send her to college.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Wow! just Wow!! Congrats
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i love the busetto corners...absolutely love them.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
  7. Allright Fidget!!
    Now, you gotta start listening to alot of Scott LaFaro......which, of course is mandatory for anyone with a Busetto! Life could be worse.......
  8. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Thanks for all the nice comments folks, and thanks Paul for the heads-up on Scott LaFaro. The guy must have been radically talented to play with Bill Evans.

Also, I have to brag on my local luthier, David Graham of Graham Strings in Arlington, TX. David has literally grown up with the DB. His Dad was a first-call bassist in Dallas back in the day, and David has been playing since age seven. David is a price of a guy to deal with.

Anyone needing any kind of DB service in North Texas should run, not walk, to David's shop.

P.S. Rufus Reid is playing an old Busetto style bass in his new DVD.
  9. All of the above , and considering the cost, i might forget about a nice fully carved and pick up one of those bad boys :cool:
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    They make a fully carved one too, Merry....
  11. You must have bass wheel-- that would be hard to achieve with a conventional case, not to mention, possibly dangerous for all involved ;)

I've been waiting for the pictures, ever since you said you were buying one-- she's really good looking! I got a few questions though-- which series is she? and, what kind of sound is it?

Congrats-- have fun!

12. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC

Looks the the twin sister of my Christopher hybrid (she's a Busetto too). Nothing quite like the sound of a Busetto :smug:

Yours definitely has nicer flame than mine, though. Is this one of the new matte-lacquer models?
  13. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That bass of LaFaro's was not his main bass. The busetto that Kolstein has with the ebony stripe running up the back.

That bass was destroyed in the accident but then rebuilt. I've known some peeople that have played the bass and were not terribly impressed.
  14. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Do tell. What was his main bass?
    For the record, the 3/4 Prescott at Kolsteins with the ebony "stripe" going down the back WAS Scotties main bass. Yes, the Kolsteins restored it after the car fire, after Red Mitchell brought it into Sam and Barrie.
    This is pretty historical stuff...It's good to have your facts straight!
  15. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Beth & Mike,
    This one is the model 303 carved top, laminated back and sides. It has the new matte finish. The pictures of the front were taken in the reflected light of the only snow we're likely to see in Dallas this year. The room was lit quite well that day.

I LOVE the bass but do not care for the helicore hybrid strings that were an upgrade. I just ordered Obligatos and should have them in a week or so. I know that the Obligatos can be short lived ( 6 - 8 months) but I would have to try them sooner or later anyway.

At this early stage (just over 3 weeks) I'm glad I got the carved top rather than one of the all laminated versions. Even with the metallic sounding strings I think the tone is more complex than the all laminated (not Christopher) I was renting.

One day I might wish I forked over the extra bucks for a fully carved version, but I foresee happiness for a long time . . .
  16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Good on you, WIGGLEROCK, welcome to the Chrissie club!
  17. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    i've played that bass more than a few times, and each time i've been terribly, terribly impressed. ( especially now that he has his new heritage strings on it. they seem to be a great match for that bass) after all, it's a prescott.

18. Wow.....

Though I totally love my violin shaped Chris hybrid that arrived 2 weeks ago from Luscombe Violins in Elgin Ontario. I mean, how far can a blue grass guy go?

My flamed maple is unbelievable, Leif was very helpful during our numerous phone calls to get the set up just right, and the Velvet Compass 360's are great as well. The bass was absolutely perfect on arrival, set up exactly as I wanted it....

Though I do love those corners...
  19. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey y'all,

I just picked up my first bass and it too is a sister (Hybrid Busetto) and have been loving it for the past two weeks. Gonna go get my first bass lesson on the upright tomorrow and i'm stoked!

Anyways, since I'm new to the DB and that this is a Christopher specific question... What are you doing to your Christopher?!? I saw Mike Pecanic's tailpieces (and have yet to search and read up on them) but I'm curious as to what you guys might end up doing to your new babies to make them sound better. What kind of strings? New tailpiece? New Bridge? Leave it alone? Anyone tricking your busetto out?

Sorry, I know there is probably a ton of upgrade info out there, but I'm curious because this is sorta like a Christopher Hybrid Owner's club question. :) Kinda like we all bought the same car.

I stuck an underwood pickup on mine so I'm set to go. Now if only I had money for an amp.... :meh:
  20. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Please, I can't emphasize enough, use extreme caution when using terms like "t---k o-t" on this board! Many TB members on the DB side are at a stage in life where, well, cholesterol has taken it's toll, and the old heart muscle can't absorb the sudden shock of such terms any more. The mental image of an "altered" Chrissy just might be too much to bear!