Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Christopher Hybrid 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 26, 2003.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just picked up this wonderful Christopher Hybrid 5 string. I didn't expect this quality from a Chinese instrument! The bass is 7/8ths size with Busetto corners, and has a carved spruce top. It sounds great! It is very even sounding, and loud. The bass needs a setup, and I am going to have a high C put on the bass instead of the low B. The B sounds good(actually great arco), but is kind of muddy pizz. Overall I am impressed with it!:)

[​IMG]

2. Congtatulations on the new Chrissie! I have had a 4-string 7/8 Busetto for about a year and a half, and I've had no problems whatsoever. That high C string you're putting on should really sing.

I tried a 5-string hybrid Christopher at an educators' show a couple of years ago and was not impressed -- sounded very pinched. But I tried another last January at NAMM and there was a BIG difference -- lots of sound even on the B.

My only caveat is be careful of the finish: mine seems to have a propensity to chip quite easily.

Have fun!

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Niiiice. I've got a 3/4 Chrissie hybrid. Is that the low-gloss finish you've got there? Pretty much the only gripe I've got with mine is the thick, shiny finish.

First thing people say: "Wow, is that ever a beautiful instrument. What is it?"

Next thing they say: "It's really shiny, isn't it?"

One of these days I'll strip her down and do right by her.

4. One story I haven't shared yet: A bass player who hadn't seen me play since I got my Christopher dropped in on one of my gigs recently. He sat in on a couple of tunes and afterwards said, "I like your bass. These Pollmans are really nice."

5. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    :D Pollmann! That is partially why I was interested in the Busetto corners. I have always liked the look of Pollmann basses. This bass was the best sounding instrument I played when testing them out. I wasn't really looking for a 5, but I have no problem with playability, and I think the C will be a nice addition for melodic lines.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Adrian,
    Where did you get your Christopher?

Thanks . . . Jim Watkins

7. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased my Christopher from Luscombe Violins. Wonderful to deal with!

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Adrian, that is sweet ! Glad you like it...

9. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Is there anyone else in Canada besides Leif Luscombe selling Christophers? Just curious.

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I have the same bass. It had some minor damage from the shipping (very long haul). Make sure you get it setup, if it hasn't been already. On mine, the soundpost was way too tight and check to see if the fingerboard is okay, as it is a very cheap grade of ebony which is dyed black, as is the nut. Mine has cracked very easily and will be replaced in the future. It will also need to be properly shaped.

It is a nice instrument once fixed up - I hope you can enjoy yours more than I do mine

Alexi

11. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    While we're on a negative vibe, I forgot to mention that I ditched the stock tailpiece and hanger wire right away. The tp was an ebonized soft hardwood (more like poplar than maple) and the stiff wire was just yucky. Replaced with a nice rosewood tp and stainless steel cable. The tp isn't a Pecanic, but a nice German piece with a great price to please the miser in me. Given what I'm hearing about other lighter woods for tailpieces, maybe I'll try my hand at rolling my own...

Also, the soundpost DID ship way too tight. It has to be tight to survive the shipping. Leif mentioned to me that he's shipped these things by truck to some pretty remote places, always with the post in place and no string tension. How can the post stay up under those conditions without being jammed in there?

BTW, FYI, and FWW, my Chrissie has a horking big brace across the (round) back for the post to sit on. I'm guessing they all do? Plywood backs, that is.

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Apparently all of the Christopher instruments feature this brace. I am not sure what exactly it is for, but I have heard that it adds to the volume of the instrument:confused:

I am having the bass setup on Tuesday. I am having the hanger replaced, the fingerboard dressed(and nut), and the bridge re-cut. I will also mention the sound post. Hopefully the bass will open up more when all of this has been adjusted!

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No brace on mine (Carved violin cornered round back).

14. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe the Brace is only used on Plywood models...

I'll check back here once I get the bass setup with the C string.