1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Cirrus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I am probally getting a Cirrus bass,I like funk,r&b and gospel. What type of Cirrus 4 string should I get? What body,what fingerboard?

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    The Cirrus Line has such a wide variety of options that sometimes it`s a bit hard
    to decide, mainly considering the cost of a new one.

This is a general tone description (according to Peavey):

Maple / Alder: Articulate, clear highs, punchy mid-range and warm lows.
    Bubinga / Walnut: More accentuated mid range with extra punch, especially in the low mids. Sweet highs, accentuated mids and low mids, and warm lows.
    Redwood / Alder: light weight, even smooth sounding, without excesive presence of bass.

The higher end models (Tiger Eye) offer sweepable mids, a really useful tool.
    Also consider that a Maple fretboard will provide a snappier sound, more suitable for slapping.

I own a 4 strings Maple / Alder and just love it. Maybe you like a darker, heavier tone, in that case go for one with a dense wood.

Hope it helps

3. I have a Cirrus 5 with a Redwood body and I love it. It is very suitable for most any type of sound. I string mine up with the Cirrus strings also and the sound is very well balanced. Be careful with the type of strings you use though. I was an avid user of DR Hi-Beam and Lo Rider stainless strings when I bought this bass, but when I tried them on this bass they had a very hi-fi probably due to the 18V preamp and hot pickups in these basses. Overall, I am very happy with this bass. I searched for about 2 yrs to find a bass that I was gonna be completely satisfied with and I am with this bass. You wouldn't be disappointed with this either.

Check on Ebay for a better deal. I got mine brand new on Ebay for $1000 and it goes for $1400 or so on Musicians Friend.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I keep hearing great things about the bubinga/walnut wood combo, msang. I think I remember that the bass in the hammond.wma file being discussed in another thread is a bubinga/walnut Cirrus.

I have an alder/maple/pau ferro wood combo Cirrus and absolutely love it - I really like the slap tones I get out of it.

I've got a walnut-bodied custom Cirrus on the way, something to keep the first one company and hopefully give a slightly warmer, woodier sound.

Refined: I string my Cirrus with DR Fatbeams and have been hugely pleased. Might give those a try...

5. Musicians Friend is great to deal with when it comes to Peavey. I recentely ordered a Maple 4 with Maple Fretboard and it was $1180 shipped.