Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Clatter CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tosya, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Hey everyone,

I've posted this on some other threads, but figured I'd add it here in case you all are interested. My band, Clatter, is a two-piece rock band (bass and drums) and we just released a full-length CD called "Blinded By Vision." If you would like to hear samples of the songs, feel free to check out our web site: clatter.com . We also have a couple of songs on MP3 if you'd rather hear streaming audio.

Just thought you guys might get a kick out of a rock band without guitar! :)

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just saying, if you posted this in other threads or forums, other moderators or myself may get some e-mails about spam. I'll allow your thread to stay in this forum as it is about recordings, but don't be surprised if some other moderators delete your message.

I like drums and bass music, so I'll try to listen to your Mp3. Sometimes I don't have much luck, though.

3. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Hmmm...I only just posted in the Misc section about us being on the radio. Then I saw the recording section and thought I would add our recording.

Are two posts spam? How many posts is too many? :confused: :(

I just thought maybe someone would think it was neat that a bass-centric recording could hold its own in the rock music world. I guess most people would consider it shameless self-promotion. Not intended that way at all!

4. Boplicity

Gee, I really liked "Just Like You." I also liked the pretty folk tune "Mingo," but confess that the rock is more my taste. You could have fooled me...I thought there was a distorted guitar in that mix of "just Like You." Did you overdub the bass, so that one bassline is clean and the other distored or what? Anyway, that song was cool and sounds like more than just two people!! I liked the tone of the bass in both songs.

Just as an aside, I thought by "drums and bass" you were referring to the genre of electronic music called "drums and bass," plus as there is only two of you, I just assumed the music would be electronic. You had me fooled. If you had said your band was a three-person band I would have believed you. Congratulations on your CD.

By the way, which genre of music...folk or rock...do you prefer and plan to specilaize in for your future efforts? You seem to have a talent for both.

5. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Wow, thanks! That was really nice of you to take the time to listen and comment on our music!

First, the acoustic stuff was just a collection of songs that had been rattling around in my head for years that I finally recorded at home a year ago just for fun. Our main genre is the rock stuff, which is what our new album is all about. That's where "Just Like You" came from.

Second, isn't it crazy how it sounds like there's a guitar in there? People who don't know always comment on the guitar, which is pretty funny! When I recorded (and play live) I split my signal three ways: 1) clean (SWR-SM900 + Henry 8x8), 2) distorted (Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, and Marshall half-stack -- recording only) and 3) effected (VF-1 + SWR Super Redhead). So on the CD there are only a few parts here and there where I actually did an overdub -- most of it was recorded simultaneously. It was a blast! We have some photos of the recording setup on our web site.

That's hilarious about the "drums and bass" misunderstanding!!:D I see that all the time and think "hey, someone's doing what we're doing!" then it turns out to be an electronic thing. It makes it hard to categorize our music!

Well, thanks so much again for the kind words. It's always gratifying to hear that from a fellow bassist! :)

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Clatter kicks ass.

7. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Thanks, Jazzy! ;)

8. Boplicity

Tosya, do you and your drummer play many live gigs? I wish I could be hiding somewhere there so I could get a kick out of the reaction of the audience when the two of you arrive with nothing more than a bass guitar and drums and sound like you have two guitars plus the bass and drums. I bet they are in "shock and awe."

Too, I can imagine it is a challenge to characterize your music because of the inevitable connection to drums and bass of electronic music. I'm racking my brain trying to think of a clever thing you could say, but short of a photo of the two of you with your instruments, I don't know how you avoid the confusion.

Anyway, your concept is just "out there" enough to be a big hit. Tosya, you have the looks for MTV. (Dang! I sound like Paula Abdul on American Idol.)

Oh, I like the name Clatter, too. Short, easy to remember, pronounce and spell.
    Good luck with your CD and your band.

9. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Aw, shucks, boplicity!!! :) Thanks so much!

You're right, I don't think people ever know what to think of us. Just trying to describe the band we get a lot of blank or confused looks. Then we go on stage with my 3 cabs and I'm sure people keep waiting for the rest of the band to come on stage! But we've worked really hard to fill out the sound and do some interesting things so that people never miss the guitar, and so far it seems to work. Our last show was in July when we opened for King's X, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. In fact, one guy told us he thought there was a guitar player offstage!! :D I'm excited to get back to playing live again.

Thanks again for all your kind words! :)

10. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    marry me! seriously, the voice kicks ass.

love it, you guys are revealing the secret tho: no guitar roxors doood.

kicking sound, love the different bass sounds. left out/still rocks... checking out the others.

:bassist:

11. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    HA HA!! Sorry, deepbob, that's the other perk to our band -- we're married, so going on tour just the two of us is like going on vacation! :D I guess the drawback is that no one is bringing in an income....:( ;)

Glad you like the music, though!! :D

12. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Hey, thought you might get a kick out of this: SWR

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member