Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New (clearer) 4 finger picking video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Thanks, but I'm not sure if you were answering a question or just throwing something out there. It doesn't seem like a very good technique for a couple of reasons. The attack on the string is very weak and doesn't produce a very strong note. It doesn't seem like this would be very helpful in a band/live gig situation, as you would have to boost the volume tremendously to be heard. I'm sure it's great in the bedroom, but I'm not sure beyond that. It also seems like a sort of unnecessary technique. I can play the the same things going "over the top" except for the chordal sweeps, which I play the same way as you do. I think that is the only practical part of the video. I'm not trying to be hateful, but you seemed to want some feedback, so I thought I would throw it out there. Keep practicing.

2. Totally hear all that - good points etc - I agree with you - it's not that practical but it's up to the individual how they apply it musically - I posted it because a few folks like Bryan R Tyler is into this - I thought it might help some people see how the technique works - if you don't need or want to use it that's fine with me man.

3. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    thanks for the clearer video...the last time you posted a vid of the technique i decided to learn it....after some time and lots of practice i now have it as a comfotable technique in my 'playing arsenal'. it's great for jazz stuff..in particular lots of the jazz fusion ala weather report...etc. I have found the technique no prolem to use in live and band settings: as mentioned i use it frequently for fst jazz runs and solos, and even use it to create fast/pulsing bass lines in a rock band i play in, and have no problem getting it heard. you can always use a booster or compressor to boost the volume if need be.
    ....you can also use it alongside muting (both left and right hand) techniques to achieve a rocco prestia/tower of power sound.
    thnkyou once again for bringing the technique to my attention.
    S

4. Nice one Sci Fi- no problem - I see your a London type as well - PM me sometime I'm a Brixton bassist myself.

Cheers

M

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hi Mike- just found this thread and realized I never responded. I've kept at it all these months and it's my main picking style 90-95% of the time. I'm going to post a definative "Garrison technique" thread with links to your site as well.

crhoton, I think that the video isn't picking up on the sound very well. It takes a very small decrease in volume to use the technique, and it's very useful...it's basically a classical guitar technique when it comes down to it, so it's well-used beyond the bedroom. Garrison's resume alone shows that.

6. mcgraham

mcgraham

Feb 21, 2004
    Coventry, UK
    Hey there,

Mike, nice video, I especially liked the use of the ghost notes.
    I'm backing this technique completely, I've been at it since about September and after I got the sequence down I've used it exclusively since then, despite initial difficulties.

I agree it can sound weak when plucking lightly, however I've found that because of the sheer efficiency of this technique and its economy of motion, you can 'afford' to pluck just a little harder and get a desirable level of attack from each note without seriously compromising speed.

With regards live performance, I play at church and in a gospel choir, the latter gets the full use of this technique and it doesn't sound weak. The beauty of this technique for me lies in the ability to bring out lovely sounding chords but articulate or arpeggiate certain notes within it at pretty much any speed. I will record something at some point so you can see what I'm doing with this technique. Not that it's right or wrong, but it works for me.

Take care and God bless,

Mark G

7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I can't understand why something like that WOULDN'T be useful.

8. Now if I could only get my left hand to match Garrison's . . . :D

9. Something to try and fail at...awesome!

Seriously, I'm gonna work on this, very usuful when used right. I never want to stop learning.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ..Just what I was thinking.

I should learn that to replace my usual ring-middle-index-[backward-flipped-index] quads. I float the thumb anyway, so it's like 'right-there' already!

..Now that I think of it: one of the few instances I DON'T use the thumb-muting is when I go my 'cheater' four-flurry like that - yup - I should do it that way.

Y'know - it was off one of your video posts like this that I learned how to do 'thumb-down, thumb-up, index' triplets on the same string. I still don't have it smooth enough; I think I'll work on it after work tonight!

Hm.. this remembering has reminded me to break-out my favorite "Sunna" video from Brighton that I got from you...

Joe

11. Hey thanks guys - I'm glad it's proved useful to some of you - I am spending more and more time working on this and trying to really go a lot deeper into this stuff - this is a seriously noodly video of some random improvised stuff, you've probably seen it before, but you get the idea:

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_videos.html

This is a 'finesse' technique but it can be done at a variety of volumes - it's all just a matter of practice - and you can get some deep thmps from your thumb - the demo video I made I was playing very softly - hence the the quieter sounding thumb plucks.

I'm going to be making some very good quality videos for sale via download soon - and I'm going to do a short demo on the four finger stuff as well as all the slap and pop stuff I can do - there will hopefully be some proper recordings from me at some point this year as well - so much to do and so little time.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Best

Mike

12. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    *scratches head* interesting.