Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Coheed and Cambria Teaser

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Jul 13, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For those care (and I know you're precious few ;)), there is a teaser song for the new Coheed and Cambria album coming on in September. There's a kinda-long trailer type deal, and then you can listen to what I think is a "what-Nightwish-could-be-if-they-were-better" type of song. Epic stuff! Sounds great - check it out.

www.burningstariv.com

2. COCA kicks ass. They are playing here acoustic tonight in LA.

JT

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I also have three more of their songs from their new album: The Suffering, Wake Up, and The Willing Well II. Definitely good stuff. Too bad they're so underappreciated, much like Jimmy Eat World has been.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I listened to it the other day and I thought it was really good. I can't wait til tha album comes out.

They'll be in NYC in November.

5. Wait... "...if Nightwish were better..." ???

***?

IMO, Nightwish is WAY WAY WAY better than Coheed and Cambria. Coheed is just a scene band, Nighwish is like one of three bands doing that style of music (opera hard rock fusion)

oh well, I guess that's just my strong opinion is.

~Ryan

6. joeyhimself

joeyhimself

Jul 17, 2005
    I heard "Welcome Home" on their PureVolume the other day, and of course, I was stunned. I can't wait for the new album. Sounds like more great stuff.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The video is on mtv.com, if anyone cares. Unnecessary use of a double-neck guitar, but, hey - who am I to say what's right and wrong? :D

PS- Nightwish, still not so good. ;)

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    yeah really I was like and he's using the double neck why? suffice to say I,m stoked for the new album!

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Coheed is aw3e$oM3!!!1111oneone

10. I already have the cd, and its only SEPT.11 :D

and yes it is good.

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've seen the previews on TV and I give them alot of respect for making what appears to be a concept album with a fantasy story but Claudio's voice is just way too much. I love power metal, Judas Priest, Rush, and King Diamond. I enjoy some of the cheesiest vocals imagineable. Now just the fact that I can dig KD's voice and not Claudio's says alot. Way too Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. :meh:

12. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    in the video it looks like he using the 12 string part for the chorus, for the acousticy part and the 6 string for the rest of the song distortiony stuff. thats the only reason u i would see him using it, trying to get a better range of tones for that part. and ive seen a picture of him live and he has the double so there must be some reason for it.

13. stevo4

stevo4

Jun 6, 2005
    not a concept album, 4 cd sci-fi story, like a 4 movie series and yes his voice is high but its not annoying or anything in my opinion atleast

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, I picked up the CD on Tuesday and have given it a couple listens.

My first impression is that it's fantastic. It feels a lot more coherent than the second album. The songs don't feel as sprawling, either; it seems they've learned how to write them a bit more compact and to the point. I was kinda bummed out by the lack of a "secret" song, but that's ok. I'm still kind of fuzzy on what this does to the story, but I haven't really sat down with the lyrics yet and given them a read through.

Overall, the songs are a pit more poppy and less proggy, though they occasionally fall back into COCA habits of songwriting. Claudio doesn't do the same kind of wild modulations as he did on the last album - he sounds more restrained, more like he did on the first one.

The reprised theme music at the beginning is pretty sweet.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    +1

I've listened to it about 8-10 times since Tuesday.

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I love it! Ten Speed is such an AMAZING song! This album has EVERYTHING on it and only has 2 cruddy songs (wake up and Never and Always) It gets my vote for album of the year for sure! and technically there is a secret song, that little slide guitar thing, which is hilarious, it just comes out of nowhere!

I started a thread on the album (in Off Topic by accident) and nobody replied :(

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Don't feel bad, Sarge. I posted in your thread (for which you should be eternally grateful...lol)

Quote:

This album RULES!!!!! (imo...) I got it a day early because I pre-ordered it (and did a REALLY stupid looking jig around my living room with the box it came in).

My favorite tracks: Welcome Home; The Suffering; Wake Up; Ten Speed; the entire Willing Well song cycle.

Is it just me, or does the story seem to introduce the narrorator on this disc as another character? I'm just trying to piece things together a bit (though I'm still kind of in the dark about "In Keeping Secrets...").

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ten Speed is an amazing song. For some reason it reminds me of a Police tune.

Justin - Yeah, the character of the Writer (whose name may or may not be Apollo) is introduced here. I kinda wonder how much of the story was actually written several years ago when they started all this, and how much they're just making up as they go along. It seems to be spiraling out of control. :D

Did anyone catch the animated shorts they played on MTV2 a while back? I didn't get a chance to see them and was kinda bummeda about it. I'm sure they'll be included on the next DVD they put out, but I was mad that I wasn't able to catch them the first time around.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I know for a fact that the writer isn't named Apollo. Apollo is Newo's dog (you can hear it barking at the end of the album and it shows up on like page 3 of the first comic).

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Now, this is just my opinion, but I think the album is pretty good. But the thing is, 2 and 3 surpass it by quite a bit. Maybe I'll change my mind a bit once I hear it more, but somthing about those two really make it great. Now, I just have to find one.