1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New combo amp for church

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by praisebass, Mar 12, 2013.

1. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    I need to find a replacement amp to use for worship services in church. Typically playing for 300+ people at a time.

I've been using a solid state Fender Bassman with 1 12" speaker. It tilts back and I use it to point back at the drummer and myself for a monitor and use the di for the FOH.

It gave up the ghost and the repair shop says the circuit board its fouled up and they don't know that its fixable. So, it gave good service for 10 years, time to move on.

So, what to look for for a replacement?

relatively light combo, tilt back preferred, 1x12, 1x15, 2x10? Will be played primarily through di and the speaker output used for drummer and bass monitor.but should be loud enough to stand alone in a small venue. Reliable and somewhat portable. Oh, and I think we are going to look exclusively at new.

Thanks

2. 5 Wire

5 Wire

Feb 1, 2013
    NorCal
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    They may be able to get a replacement board for your amp.

Other ideas:
    Mesa Walkabout. The 12" is a little volume limited, the 15" less so.
    SWR Super Redhead.
    GK MB115.

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I like what we use at my church. Because it has wheels. It sounds good, which is a plus, but primarily because it has wheels. Haha! (It's a 1x15 Ampeg combo. Don't know the model.) Seriously, don't overlook the benefit that wheels bring if this thing is going to be moved around a lot.

5. Look man. Ill do you a huge favor.

TC ELECTRONICS BG250!

Read the thread, you'll thank me later!

6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    GK MB series is a fantastic value.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    and; with the GK stuff, you can add one of their neat new powered extensions if you need to. Cool.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Markbass CMD 121P combo would do the trick, but it ain't cheap.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg BA112. 50w, 112, awesome sound, price is right.

10. +1

11. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    Thanks, all. I'm going to start with the TC Electronics B250 and go from there. There is an independent dealer not too far from us. Will check out the GK and Ampeg if I can find one close.

12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
  13. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    How important is repairable, vis-a-vis customer service? It could narrow the field somewhat.

14. What is the budget? And is this you buying it and planning to transport it often, or a lives on stage amp?

15. bb03

bb03

Mar 1, 2009
    CT
  16. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    +1, just got a used one for $150 and I'm really enjoying it.
    I image it would work great for what you're doing.

17. Carvin MB series works for me. Nice combos at a good price.

18. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    This amp will primarily live on stage but moved more than a few times a year as the space its reconfigured for different events. We have a half dozen or so Bass players and a lot of times kids and youth will mess surround with things so it will have a lot of hands on it. I typically take a different amp to play out but its not uncommon to move the whole setup to the convention center for annual conference or a prison gig or something of that nature so portable, tough, serviceable and new are important. Not likely to get much beer spilled on it or kicked over by an inebriated patron but very. likely to have a four year old try to push M&Ms through the grill our have an unsupervised youth plug a guitar in and crank all the controls to 11.

I'm suggesting a budget around $500.

19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I played one of these (2x10 combo w/ 1x15 ext. cab) at an open blues jam a few weeks ago and thought it sounded clean and loud, more than enough for a typical church setting.

20. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    Another +1 for the TC BG250. I've been using one for practice/home recording/small gigs and absolutely love it. Will have plenty of room to fill a church and give you plenty of tone and effects options. Sounds great, and is the best option for the money out there, IMO.