1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New combo amp options, vote !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, May 7, 2010.

1. Fender bassman 150 (1x12, 150 watts, liked the sound)

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. SWR Workingpro 12 (1x12, 200 watts, haven't try it, SWR supposed to be higher end)

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Are you mad ? You really should keep your Ampeg B2 1x15 combo, despite it's weight and size !

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. I'd like you input on those 3 choices, which are the result of my search for a new combo so far. I haven't got to trying the SWR yet, but I wonder if it's worth it to drive outta town to try it. Vote please...

2. Ahhhhhhh..........nothing to vote on! You forget something??:eek:

3. jazzy82slave

jazzy82slave

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd love to vote, but it's not up. As a person who purchased a combo amp last year, I would advise against it. One, they're hard to upgrade. Unless you plan on adding another cab, expansion is hard to do. Two, weight can quickly become an issue. I have the marshall mb4410, and it weighs a back-breaking 115 pounds. I'd have to see your other combo options before I could properly judge, but I would seriously reconsider buying a combo, unless it's not going to be your main rig.

4. Site problems I think, there was a poll...
    I'll try to solve this

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I love my combo (Yamaha BBT500-110) and want a walkabout scout but also want to turn my combo into a cab and get a bag for my head (it comes out)

6. Update : I finally posted the poll, after 3 attempts (what happened ??)

7. After the wait, not a combo I like. No G-K, Genz Benz, Mesa, MarkBass. :(
    The newer SWR's I guess are an upscale Fender?

8. Sorry...
    GK : Not smaller that what I have and I need to make room
    Genz Benz : Smaller Shuttles aren't good with octave pedals, so I was told, the 1x12 combo is over my budget
    Mesa and MarkBass : over my budget

9. A 33lb MB210 is to big? Don't know when the MB112 is going to be available (last word June this year, which would be next year up to you?).

10. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Sorry dude, I wouldnt buy any of those. GK MB115, GK Mb210, GK MB212.

11. I have a Bassman 150. It can't keep up with a fairly loud drummer. It lives at my brother's house so I almost never use it anymore. Don't know anything about the other options.

12. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    the bassman 250/210 combo is great its really loud and sounds pretty good as well. I have used it with a 5 piece rock band that was really loud. as well as live shows too, overall great combo.

it keeps up with many rigs that claim to have 500-600 watts. If you can find one used go for it! you wont be disapointed..

13. The weight is just fine... it's about the size. One of the reasons I'm changing my combo is to get something smaller in size, really.

In terms of volume, I want something loud enough for occasional jams with a small band, and for home practice. When full power is needed, I have an SVT with it's 8x10 that will always be loud enough !

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You should probably wait for the G-K MB112 combo, but I've tried the Fender and SWR and, between those, would recommend the SWR. It sounds better, and seemed like it might be able to keep up with a drummer for band rehearsal at reasonable volume.

A Roland Cube 100 might be good for you too, and I know from experience it's easily enough for rock band rehearsal at responsible volume. But it's difficult to recommend considering how much the G-K MB115 offers for around the same price. The Roland does have some "pro" features absent from others, such as a pre/post EQ DI with ground lift, and of course the amp models. I love mine, but if I were shopping now I'd go G-K. If you do consider it, make sure to try your own bass, because the digital processing can be noisy with some basses, at least on some amp models. Mine sounds phenomenal with four of my five basses, but it has produced an odd noise in Super Flat mode with my Jazz V since I installed new pickups.

What do you have now, and how small do you need to go?

15. I've tried the Roland Cube with the same model of bass then my main one. Disapointement. Yup, a bit noisy... and I wasn't impressed by the sound at all. The Roland is 100 watts... why are we concerned that the 150 watt Fender or the 200 watt SWR would not make it in a band practice ?

What I have now is an Ampeg B2 combo (1x15, about 24 inch x 24 x 20 or so, 85 pounds). Since I'm definitely keeping my SVT stack, I need to reduce the space I use for my combo to the maximum. I don't want to spend twice the money I'd get from selling the B2, specially since the combo is a second amp to me. The size of the 1x12 combos I've listed here is pretty much the biggest I'd go, honestly, otherwise I get the same size then what I allready have, which is a useless switch. A 1x10 combo would also be great, but I doubt I'd have enough power with one. I also need a combo that would survive with the use of an octave pedal on occasion. That's why I'm stepping away from the Genz Benz shuttle 3.0 1x10, which I was told would not respond properly to that range of sound... unless I haven't got that right...

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I definitely understand the space concerns, which are holding me back from getting one of the new G-K combos. Maybe you'd be best with a compact 1x12 cab and a small head, cash permitting. Much more value that way compared to the powerful 1x12 combos like MarkBass. My G-K Neo112 cabs are much smaller than your current combo, and heads are easier to tuck into nooks and crannies than combos or cabs.

As for throwing the Roland into the mix, it's very loud for 100 watts, probably due to the Feed Forward Processing Roland uses, and I know from experience it works for band rehearsal. Plus, I A/B'd it against the Fender Bassman 150, and the Roland simply blew the Fender away. I was surprised, but it was no contest for depth and power. The Roland blew away the equivalent Nemesis combo too (circa 2005). I tried the SWR a few years later, and was impressed. I bet it would be fine at band practice, certainly more so than the Fender. It's probably one of the most cost-effective options out there.

While I'm skeptical of 1x10 combos too, you should probably look at the Ibanez Promethean. It's gotten very good reviews.

17. I am curious about the Promethean since it's out... but can't seem to find any around here. Why ? I don't know !

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Steve's doesn't have them?

19. Last time I checked, no... I'll have to check again.

20. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I loved the sound of the Promethean combo. Very versatile.