Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Combo... but wich one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pc, May 19, 2003.

1. Warwick CCL-15

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. SWR Workinkman's 15

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  3. Hartke 2115 (Used)

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I am planning to get a new combo. My old el cheapo will be retired soon. I found these 3 laying around music stores here and would like do know the opinion on wich one will fit best.

I just got a J5 clone with Seymour Duncans and will throw some TI flats on her. I play mostly fusion, some rock/blues, Hendrix, and choro (old times samba, with nylon guitar, mandolin, percussion). I also slap (with flats :eek: ) and do some really basic tapping. You can have a clue on the kind of sound I'm in.

What I need is versatility. Something I could bring to a 20/30 people intimist acoustic set and to a medium size bar (100 ppl)

What I already know by browsing the amps forum and the internet:

- Warwick
    Punchy
    good low mids
    1x15 + tweeter
    Can't put an external cabinet
    250W RMS

- SWR
    Best built & top tone from BP combo shootout
    Hi-fi tone
    1x15 + Tweeter
    Speaker out connector
    160W RMS

- Hartke 2115
    1x15
    Aluminum woofer
    speaker out connector
    120W RMS
    Tube preamp

The SWR is my favorite by now, but is the most expensive - $1250.00, while the warwick goes for $1000.00 and the Hartke is $700.00 (Used, don't know if it is 100%)

Which one should I go for?

2. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Id take the SWR from that lineup because you will get the best sound from it but you are not gonna get the volume I think you will need or want from any combo.

See what you can get for that kinda money, but maybe you dont wanna cary alotta shiat so I may say the warwick for all out volume man. But the SWR will give you a way better sound than any. Hartkes are up there tone-wise as well.

GO DISCO STU

V,
    Eric

3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    If you have 1250 to spend, I think you'd be better off getting a head/cab setup. More flexibility, probably more power, and it would probaby be cheaper even, if you find some deals here on TB, or ebay, or one of the bass sites (Bass Northwest, Bass Central, etc)

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto. There are plenty of reasonably priced, portable 250W+ heads on the market right now, eg. Mesa Walkabout, Eden WT-400, SWR 350x.

Pair one with a Bag End S-15D and you've got something as portable and more versatile.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I started off looking for an Eden Time Travler 10 (or 12) combo, but after reading a TON of threads here on TalkBass, I ended up with a Mesa Boogie Walkabout (that I can carry in a should bag) plus two Epifani cabs, a T-112 and a T-110UL. This setup gives me much more tone, volume, and flexibility than pretty much any comparable combo out there (well, at least until the EA iAMP 800 Combo is available:D ). For the small gigs, the Walkabout and T-110UL combined only weigh 36 lbs! For larger gigs, add the T-112. Pumping 300w (very conservative rating, BTW) into those two cabs will give you a ton of volume, cover the range of a 5-string with ease, and have articulation to spare across the frequency range.

So I, too, would say get a head and one or two small cabs for the ultimate in versatility.

Hope this helps, Tom.

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Don't know how much you want to spend, but you might look at some of the used stuff for sale here. The Super Redhead is 350w (450 with an ext. speaker)and has lots of features. It's a combo amp, but has casters, tube pre and ss power, a built-in rack space, 2x10's with a tweeter, tuner send, effects loop, on/off speaker switch and the front cover acts as a stand to angle the speaker box up a bit. All in all, a well thought out design in a combo. These can be had used for around $700 or so. I think there is one for sale on the boards now and I'm thinking about selling mine since I upgraded to more power.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's true. If you are going to go combo, the Super Redhead and the Eden Metro are both killer. Of course, they are fairly large for combos...

The EA combos are also quite nice. Last I heard on the iAMP 800 Combo (1x12 500w, 800w with ext. speaker) is September for availability. The Wizzy iAMP 200 Combo may be available sooner, or you could pick up an iAMP 350 Combo.

Tom.

8. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Agreed, but send a 70lbs+ to Brazil is crazy stuff... Not mentioning the import taxes... :eek:

I found a new GK 400 RBIII for 750. How is it?

The only cab I've asked the price was an used Hartke 2x10 for 400. Looked too used to me. (at least one speaker wasn't original)

Other stuff is local crap. not worth look at.

9. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Yea, wow I didn't realize you were in Brazil. I've heard that Avatar cabs sound good and are very reasonably priced. Is most, if not all, of this stuff made in the US? Is what you listed in your original post what you have to choose from? That kind of makes our advice a bit non-effective eh? I don't know much about GK (the head I played thru recently sounded great)but isn't $750 a little high? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Yeah, 750 is a bit high, but if you consider the import tax that's been mentioned before, maybe it isn't?

I think a couple of places online are selling 400rbIII's for around 420... so unless the import tax is like 50% or 60%, 750 is a tad high. Of the places I've seen, www.riksmusic.com and www.wmcworld.com had the best prices for the GK400rbIII. Request a price from them and see if either will ship to Brazil since the amp would be relatively light.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think he is referring to thr GK400RBIII combo, and yes that is the price.I own one as well as a RBH 1x15 cab. The combo alone is good for a small to medium venue, with the added bottom it get's better. I am waiting for the new 1001RB combo w/2x10's to come out (700 watt's)up from 540!:cool:

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My Trace 1210 SMX would be perfect for you, for less cash than any of those you mentioned, with more power. Check the GFS forum.....

13. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I spent 1150 on a brand new RB1001 2x10 combo. Its the 540+50 watt model, and I love it. It has a very clean sound, and the bass is full, but not flooding (which I ended up wanting from time to time). I ended up getting the 115 RBH as well, thinking it would give me some extra bass extension, and I didn't gain any noticable different in freq response. The 10s extend very deep for tens. i gigged with just the combo once, and it was all i needed. I also don't have a crazy stage volume, although we are way too loud when we practice in the basement (The 15 will bring the house down, vibrate the drums, and almost drown out a 2x12 guitar if I need it, but it is a pointless game to play). I still haven't cranked the volume past 5 on the knob though, so i probably wouldn't need the free 160 watts that the new model gives you.
    The 10s have a wizzer cone behind the dust cap that give extended midrange, and the tweeter is powered by a completely separate 50 watt amp. That makes it biampable. The head will handle 4 ohm loads, but not lower.
    The head is very clean, but is has a sterile sound to it. If you want to bring thunder, and not just huge cut though volume, you will need to do some external processing (I use a sansamp Di, which made all the difference in the world) or eqing. I auditioned every 2x10 cab at guitar center, and this one had the best sound and bass extension, I just needed more because i am new to this and don't know any better I guess.
    Sorry for the long winded rant, but I have been very happy with my cab. It even has a handle and wheels...
    Wes

14. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Import tax here is ABUSIVE. Almost 100%. :eek::bawl: The retail price easy doubles your list price.

Now, with this import tax in mind, 1250 for a new Workingman 15 isn't all this expensive: 625

In fact I'm looking around to see if I can find a good deal. It's very difficult to find good equipment here. Peavey (basic112, tko115), Crate and the local crap.

The GK is only the head. :bawl:

15. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    2x10 would be my choice, if i could find one... A GK combo or a head+2x10 cabinet is pretty versatile and I could add a 1x15 or a 4x10 later.

Dont you think a workingman15 + a 4x10 cab would be a good rig?

16. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    If the import tax is high, why not buy used and get something proven for less money. You and the seller can agree to declare a low price, saving you some cash. Or say that you're just borrowing it to record with or something. You might have to pay the whole amount anyway, but you might not.

17. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    i think it will be very complicated... Even if i could escape from the import tax, there is also the shipping... Look at the shipping rates from Warmoth:

1 Guitar Neck - up to 4lbs $34.00 USD
    1 Bass neck - up to 6lbs $40.00 USD
    1 Guitar or Bass body - up to 8lbs $49.00 USD
    1 Pickguard - up to 3lbs $30.00 USD
    1 Body and 1 Neck - up to 13lbs $83.00 USD

A head + cab doesn't weight less than 100lbs... at least more 500 only on transport charges. Its easier to buy here...

Anyway, back to topic... How do you think the SWR would go with a 4x10 below it? Any experiences?

18. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    How much power is the SWR head? I thought I saw 160w, that might not be enough for a 410 cab. I have a Goliath III and I think it sounds fine. You would need maybe 250w-400w to drive it well though.

19. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    According to SWR:
    "160 Watts RMS (as stand-alone combo)
    200 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms (with 8 ohm extension speaker)"

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you buy used is there an import tax? but anways... buy a avatar 12 cab to go under the swr 15...but shipping?

steve