1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New combo day! GK MB212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hachi kid, Aug 21, 2012.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    So, I bought a used MB212 today from a GC up north....only thing they didn't tell me was how much it rattled...turns out one of the circuit boards was loose and rattling around.

Also, does anyone else have any problems with this cab walking around at high volumes?...this one does it like crazy...is this cab not braced properly?

ForumRunner_20120821_180330.

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    Bump

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gallien-krueger-mb-210-mb-115-mb212-owners-580379/

Lot of discussion here on whether the cab needs more bracing.

I have a 1st generation MB212 and my circuit board was loose too, in fact, it was missing 5 of the 6 screws! I had it fixed under warranty by a local authorized GK repair shop.

I don't gig, so I have never had mine above noon when playing with others, so i can't really comment on your "walking" around comment.

Good Luck!

4. Light and loud can mean the combo might move around. Try a piece of carpet, foam or rubber like tool box liner under it?

5. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I've been playing one for about a year now. I took the drivers out and lined the whole inside with mattress topper which drastically improved the smoothness of the midrange. It has 3 braces running font to back one in the middle between the woofers and one on either side in the middle running front to back (see attached pictures). I ended up buying some rubber feet from parts express and just screwed them into the bottom. Mine didn't walk around, but I just never though it was really solid when I placed it on a hard floor. Too easy to slide around on the plastic corners. It seems like the sound tightened up a little bit with the feet.

Over all it is a great amp. It kept up with unmic'd drums a mid sized guitar tube amp, Keys and a couple of singers at medium volume outside with no PA support.

It always seems a little boomy at practice, but just right at a gig. To top it off, its very light and the perfect height for a stool and a bass stand if you get one of those planet waves rubber guitar cradles for 8 bucks.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-pw-gr-01-guitar-rest

Attached Files:

6. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    very nice. I think I'm going to do that rubber feet and dampening mod tomorrow. I still need to fix the PCB that is just dangling, too. I wasn't happy about that, but it seems to be a common issue with early MB212's.