Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New combo, Eden or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Socko, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    I'm in the market for a new combo. I have been thinking about an Eden Metro, but don't know if I really need it. What are your opinions about the Ampeg B100R or the Ampeg B3158? I don't need something really powerfull, I'm upgrading from a WM12. I just don't want to have to upgrade again.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a B-100R. I love it. It depends on where you need to use it. I've been very happy with mine in small to medium venues. Great tone. While I think it works fine for classic tones to Marcus Miller, I wouldn't go Fieldy with it [​IMG]

3. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    IMO both of the Ampeg models that you have listed would be an upgrade to your existing WM12. I prefer the B100R to the B3158 hands down.

The Eden Metro is in a different league, ie. power, features, price and starting to get a little hefty weight wise. I don't think Ampeg has a comparable model.

Have you considered the head/cabinet route.?

Best.

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I own a B-100R and I'm very pleased with it. Lot of volume for it's size and weight, and the tone is very smooth. I've played through a B-3158 and was very impressed with it. But it's quite a bit larger and heavier.

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Im not sure how much of an upgrade one of the Ampeg 100 watt combos would be over the WM-12.I got an Ampeg BA-115 a few weeks ago and think its great though.Some prefer the B-100R.Give them a try but dont expect a huge difference.Good luck!

6. I have a B-100R and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for a little over 18 months. I use it for all small and some medium size gigs, and it's a back up for some of the bigger medium gigs. You can't go wrong with it unless you just simply need more power than the 100W that it has. Give it a try.

7. I'd like to hear some feedback on the Eden metro combo. Any takers?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I decided to clear out some gear that wasn't really getting any use: Genz Benz 12T and 210XB and a no name passive 5 string Jazz type. Traded them towards a used Eden Metro. Didn't take any of my basses to check it out with, noticed how much noise it made with no input (is that normal?) but decided to give it a whirl. Forgot to take the Sadowsky outboard with me, it's collecting dust(figuratively speaking only), too

For a 210 combo, it's loud, actually louder than I need but I figured the harder it doesn't have to work the longer it will probably last. The tweeter adds a different presence to the snap than my B100R. Unfortunately it added that crispiness all over, which I didn't like when slapping the B and E for instance. In a quiet room at home the noise was very noticeable... and very annoying. Moving the bass near the amp really kicked up some noise, again, is that normal?

I got a sterile tone when thumping my Zon fretless that I've never had with my other gear. That's good if you like that sort of thing...I don't. Didn't like the way my Lakland sounded through it either. Didn't try any of my other basses after that. The controls are typical Eden...a little tweak goes a long way.

It's a slightly bulky package but overall it's small and, at 600w@2 ohms, pretty powerful. I did try it out with an additional 410XLT connected, I can't imagine where I'd need that kind of volume. I'd guess anyone who likes this kind of tone will love this amp. I didn't recognize the sound of my basses through it.

On paper comparing an Eden Metro and an Ampeg B-100R might seem silly, 600w with the ability to add extension cabs vs. 100 (so Ampeg says, I suspect more) watts. One 15" with no tweeter vs. basically an Eden 210XLT. Semi-parametric tone controls and two channels vs... chicken head knobs :) In spite of this, I'd much rather hear my basses coming through the Ampeg (which BTW is dead quiet) than this Eden. What's wrong with me;)

I could be wrong but the Eden really seemed to impose it's sound on my basses vs. the Ampeg letting them shine through. I a/b'd them for over an hour tonight, playing them alone and along with CDs at volume. For a Jazz bass sound without tons of extraneous noise, the Ampeg won hands down. It doesn't have that stinging top when popped but it's low end more than makes up for that and the snap sounds very natural to me. I think I'll be returning the Metro.

I didn't even bother comparing it to my Amplified Music Products BH420/EVM 15/Eminence 2-10T rig, which sounds like a bigger version of the Ampeg, with the Eden snap, minus the noise. I was just trying to downsize from a small rig to a smaller one...better luck next time.