1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Comer to Manchester UK...Does anyone on the forum live there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wuuw, Feb 23, 2008.

1. wuuw

wuuw

Sep 5, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Hey there...just a random question...I am coming to Manchester for Law school this Fall, and was wondering if anyone from that area? and is there any good music store that I could hang out?

Pretty much any general information about the city or University of Manchester will be truly appreciated

Thanks ahead,

Wu

2. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I head to Manchester very occasionally, last time I was there I saw Nine Inch Nails at the Apollo which was pretty damned good. It is a really, really nice city, and all my friends who have been to Uni there have had a ball of a time.

Manchester has a very strong history of modern music, so you should find something to your liking.

I hope you enjoy yourself.

3. All i'll say is not to excpect any music shops on the scale of GC, Sam Ash etc.

Only been to Manchester a few times in the passing.

4. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    I spent a year there in 1998/99 (already ten years! :eek:) and I fondly remember the place. I didn't play while there, but I did catch some great shows... Bauhaus, Jamiroquai and the Black Crows all first row! And Pulp from the very last row in the Apollo, but worth every minute of it.

The city has a very high Pub density, and the best Indian food this side of Himalayas. Don't miss Haji's, on Wilmslow Rd south of Wilbraham Rd in Fallowfield, their kebabs are sublime and worth at least one Michelin star IMHO.

All in all, I had a great time, at least the part I remember (the other must have been quite good too :D) and I still managed to get my masters!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sound Control and Dawsons are pretty big.

I was there only last wednesday. Go check out Picadilly Gardens in the town center and the Trafford center, it's a wicked indoor shopping precinct. There is a good indoor precinct right next to Picadilly Gardens but it's name escapes me.

Oh, and enjoy studying law, I study it too!

6. While I've never actually been there, even the biggest shops ive seen over here pale in comparison to the scale of the few big shops i visited in the US

7. I live just outside of manchester and visit often, there aren't that many big music shops and there are a couple of tiny rubbish ones but you can still get your hands on some quality gear.

love the indian food there and i LOVE a chinese buffet that is in chinatown in manchester, its full of really nice food.

I probably like manchester best for its food.

There is a really nice place in piccadilly gardens near piccadilly train station called barburrito that does really really nice burritos and tacos and nachos, they're all pretty cheap aswell.

I'm sure you will enjoy the food, and will enjoy the multi-culturalness of manchester, loads of accents and different faces everywhere you go, i love it.

I hope you have a good time, i sure do when i go.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, I guess they are big by UK standards but they're not exactly guitar warehouses!

9. wuuw

wuuw

Sep 5, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Wow, thanks everyone's input !!:hyper: I have heard that most common Manchester's weekend activity is pub hopping:smug: even though I dont drink as much, but I guess I probably have to adapt myself into the culture:bag:

looking forward to the life there (I think I should have no problem finding band mates in a school of 40,000...)

Any more feedbacks about life in Manchester or surrounding areas are appreciated :)

P.S. TB is amazing, posting this question out of curiosity. Never expect more than 5 feedbacks, Thanks guys !!:bassist:

Wu

10. Welcome to the U.K. :bag:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Avoid Preston :p

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Why has nobody mentioned that it is always raining in Manchester!! :p

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I studied at VUM in Manchester for 4 years and I'm move back there in a heartbeat. Wonderful city.

Which halls are UMU putting you in?

14. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    this yank is surprised and shocked, for in a thread on Manchester, there has been no mention of City vs the Red Devils? Umm?

I mean us yanks build up these totally unrealistic perceptions of live in such places....;)

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Football is very important, especially in Manchester :)

16. One of my favourite current bands are from Manc!

http://www.myspace.com/thewhipmanchester

Check them out and then go see them! :)

I hail in from down in London, but hope you have a good time in Manc and the UK anyway!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But most United fans live around London! :p

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Most United fans live in Seoul :p

19. Bruce Lindfield

Similar average rainfall!! ;)

20. wuuw

wuuw

Sep 5, 2007
    Upstate NY

Actually, I am planning on living off-campus, after several bad experience in my fresh man year in college (here in the good state of New York). Which brings me to a question I meant to ask... Do I need a car to get around the city? (you know, all the entertainments, shopping, bars and oh, Campus):ninja:

and I just found out one thing, do you really need license for a TV? Cant live without one, got to stay connect with the world:D

Thanks for all the input guys, :hyper: keep it coming