1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New compressor time. help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by offworldjosh, Jun 14, 2019.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Might have to give that one a shot. Just wish it had more knobs!

Low Down Brown likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Which to me is plenty for the Diamond. Unlike some other comps, you don’t need to see what it’s doing. You can hear it quite easily.

3. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Compressors can be very handy tools in a live situation, no shame in using one. I have the MXR, and I'm considering replacing it. When I get it dialed in it works really great and the metering is nice. Unfortunately I find it really tricky to get dialed in since it seems like the input sensitivity is a little funky. It's nice that you can find it in almost any guitar store to try out though.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    SpectraComp for me please....

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    A ways back, I embarked upon the compressor quest and arrived at the Diamond. I will never have to look again. As previously suggested, try one with your own rig before passing on it completely.

6. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Broughton Apex has me satisfied compression-wise. Just a great pedal in every way possible.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  7. BD261D8A-0BC5-4FB5-9D16-DA5559987D60. +1 for the Empress. Transparent and extremely flexible.

Marc

8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Hard to go wrong with the Compressore. That's what I have and it's really clean and sounds great. It's also very adjustable. It doesn't have a "meter" just the single led which is proportional to the gain reduction, so you still see what it's doing, you just dont have a number to put with it. Only real downside is the special power supply (18v I think?), but that's the trade off for having a tube pedal. I use it on my Furman pedal board which has 3 regular outlets though in addition to the 8 9v outputs, so it's fine.

9. offworldjosh

offworldjosh

Jun 14, 2019
    Thank you all for your input, the amount of activity here with actual experience is great compared to my previous forum endeavors.

I dove deep back down the rabbit hole, but today I resurfaced and pulled the trigger on the Diamond Bass Comp Jr.. I really can't get over how simple it is and the instant tone improvement it gives, and I'm so anxious to add it to my board. I'll update when it gets here haha.

10. offworldjosh

offworldjosh

Jun 14, 2019
    Everything is wired up in order, but nothing is where I want it to be because I greatly misjudged my cabling needs lol.

The Diamond makes a huge difference to my base tone, to say that it's not transparent is a massive understatement. I have only messed with it about 20 minutes but I feel like despite there only being 3 knobs, it takes a long time to learn and find sweet spots. This is where I'm at for now. I'm really not used to the fattening effect, compared to just balancing/ limiting. I'll come back later with fresher ears lol. 20190621_194124.

keto, grillman and Fat Freddy like this.