1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Computer Build Day: Budget Gaming Monster

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Mar 28, 2013.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just finished building a new comp...First new desktop in 8 years now? Maybe more. I had been surviving with my laptop since it was performing better than the desktop, which I had disconnected and stopped using all together for almost 2 years. I found myself more into games and thought it was time. I didn't need to get too crazy, and will evaluate it's performance to see where I might want to go in the future, depending on how PC gaming works out for me, so budget it is.

I went with an AMD A10-5800K APU as my main chip. For those not aware, and APU is both the main CPU and the graphics built into the same chip. It runs 4 cores at 3.8 ghz, and can OC to 4.2, very easily with the awesome software that came with my MSI mobo. The integrated graphics are Raedon 7760, and are VERY capable. It can run most games at 1680x1050 on on high settings, and a solid 30-35 FPS on 1920x1080 on medium...like BF3. So not to go crazy, but to have a capable, budget system. The development of these chips is the main reason why AMD bought ATI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113280

If you are interested, this is a video showing the AMD creaming the comparable offering from Intel.

I'm running 8gb of RAM, which is important. The integrated GPU has no ram of its own, so it uses system ram, and the speed of the ram directly affects the GPU performance. I would have gone with a higher frequency than 1600mhz, but I bought the memory a year ago, but never used it, so I couldn't justify buying more for just a slight increase in performance. Again, that is upgradeable easily in the future. I'd probably go with 2133mhz RAM in the future should I need it, which will noticeably boost performance.

The best part is I can crossfire another GPU card to run in tandem with it if the performance is not for me - yet another way to get more out of it. AMD says 75% better performance. Overkill for me at this point.

My Build:
    AMD A10 5800K APU - $130
    Diablotek Modular Mid Size Case. $40
    Logysis 500 watt power supply - (very happy, whisper quiet) - $25
    8GB Corsair Vengence Dual Channel DDR3 1600mhz ram - $47
    750GB WD Caviar Black HDD 64meg cache, 6gb/sec SATA - $65
    MSI A75 FM2 Socket - USB 3.0, HDMI - $60
    2 Cooler Master Blue LED case fans $17 (for the nerd in me)
    Asus Optical Drive - $22

Total - $406

Paired with a 24" Acer 5ms monitor with 2 HDMI's so I have my Xbox next to my comp too in a nice little setup. I'm sure someone is going to tell me I should have gone with an SSD, Perhaps I will add one, but do I really need it? And at a much increased system cost?

If I want to upgrade the gaming performance in the future, it will be easy - I can add another GPU card, upgrade the memory OR get a new APU if I wanted, as this platform has been confirmed that it will be used for the next APU line release. I feel that this should be more than enough for a long time.

I thought that my case fan setup was good, can someone comment? It is air being sucked into the case from the bottom, and exhausted through the top rear fan.

Anyway, just completed this 2 days ago, and after a full day with it, I'm VERY happy, although, I have not really fully pushed it yet.

Opinions? Thoughts?

photobucket-160815-1364491255860_zps372eb48d.

photobucket-20263-1364485870359_zps1c632f1e.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    I did almost a same build for a friend. Honestly, that APU is prolly the best bang for the buck pc part atm.

I'd get an 2133/2400mhz ram if I were you. The difference between 1600 and 2133 is amazing but make sure the mobo is supported by that.

Instead of going with 2 case fans I would buy an aftermarket cpu fan if it was me building that machine. AMD cpu fans is just trash, you'd be able to get some speed out of it too if you did get the aftermarket fan.

Always invest on a decent(Certified 80 Plus) power supply. You might have spent $25 dollars more if you did get a certified 80 plus but imagine how much you'd spend if the power supply you're using right now fry everything that you have.

For $400 bucks it's a great deal! :)

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good point about the power supply. Does it matter that the whole system is powered by a certified surge protector?

I did plan on getting an aftermarket CPU fan. I think it is the loudest part of the system, and from what I've read, the APU tends to run hot.

Also, what kind of performance difference do you think I would see by going with better ram? If I went to 2133mhz (which is supported by my mobo) - do you think I might go from 30fps to 40fps for example on any given game? Can you quantify what I might see?

4. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    IMHO, it does matter but I'm a guy who'd rather be safe than sorry. The price difference isn't much too.

About 10-15FPS jump from 1600 to 2133's but like you've said you're planning on getting a discrete GPU so prolly it really doesn't matter that much.

10-15FPS prolly isn't much for you but I think that's a significant improvement considering you could buy a 2133mhz for almost $20 more than the 1600mhz.

P.S.: I'm nitpicking.. lol

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    If you're happy with it, what more is there to say?

Personally, I always make sure to invest around 800$. There are plenty of benefits to the build I finished a couple of months ago.

- (Mostly) passive 1k power supply from Kingwin that I won't ever need to change.
    - Much better graphics performance which will allow me to last a lot longer without upgrading.
    - Much better CPU performance, especially with transcoding/encoding video.
    - Using an SD drive which makes everything fly.
    - Motherboard with backup BIOS chip in case one dies.

Here's a breakdown of the components I got.

• Kingston KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX 16GB 2133MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL11 DIMM (Kit of 4) XMP
    • Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail
    • KingWin LZP-1000 Lazer Platinum Power Supply
    • Sapphire RADEON 6790HD fanless videocard
    • AuzenTech X-MERIDIAN 7.1 2G PCI 7.1 Sound Card
    • Noctua fans everywhere. About 8 in my HTPC. Dead quiet.

6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would have gone higher if I had bought recently, but I already had the ram. So we will see.

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does an SSD REALLY make it fly that much more? My Drive Performance on the Windows Performance Index was about a full point lower than everything else, which was about 7.2 average on a scale of up to 8.

8. Infidelity

Infidelity

Jan 14, 2010
    SSD for gaming isn't that beneficial FPS wise but on loading times it really does make a difference. :)

Honestly it's just a luxury for gaming machines..

9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Their main selling point is this the stability right? No moving parts so you never have to worry about it failing or crashing on you?

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Yep. Sure does. I have a small one to store all applications on and still use a mechanical drive to store the documents I'm working on.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Incorrect. Anything can break down at anytime for any reason, SSD or HDD.

The selling point is how snappy the performance is when loading anything significant.

It won't make a difference in terms of FPS, but for loading pretty much anything, you should definitely notice a difference. Not a necessity in any case. Enjoy your rig! :)

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Yea, very much this.

Load times are ridiculously low.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Nice setup. AMD is doing pretty well in the mid-range nowadays.

If you like a quiet machine with some mild overclocking, these are pretty good. I just got one for my development machine and it's much quieter and no longer crashes due to 90C core temps on big jobs.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My mobo specs show this:

2×240pin DDR3 2133(OC)/1866/1600/1333/

Does that mean 2133 ram will work normally? I'm wondering why it says OC next to it. I know what it stands for...but not totally sure what our means in this display.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Looking at the manual for that board it looks like you have to go into the BIOS and use the Overlock menu to enable 2133 memory.

My guess is that they can't make that board run at 2133 100% of the time so making it an OC item means they don't have to guarantee it. (i.e. borrow some 2133 RAM to test first or make sure you can return it)

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Take a look at your motherboard's capabilities. You might need to overwrite the auto-detected settings and manually configure the RAM's timings, voltage, and whatnot in order to achieve this speed, hence why there's an OC next to it.

Essentially, they're stating that it's going beyond what the mobo was manufactured to accomplish, but that it should reach this speed.

The real-world differences are so minute that I wouldn't even bother and I'd instead stick to 1866 as your max.

Have you flashed your BIOS with the latest version? There's a possibility that MSI might've unlocked some additional potential in your mobo and get you some additional higher timings.

17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I'll check out what i see in my bios. They made it easy to use.

If going from 1866 to 2133 is so minute, how much of a difference will there be going from 1600 to 1866?

18. My dad built a computer with my brother for Christmas. He was in his room playing Deus Ex the other day when the power source just fried for seemingly no reason. Flipped the breaker on our entire half of the house and burnt out some of his lightbulbs. It was connected to a surge protector but still destroyed the power source (and luckily nothing else).

19. The top two reviews here cover a couple of Logisys PSUs & the results are pretty damning. They're off my shopping list.

20. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA