Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jucas, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hey, if anyone can suggest something that might help this at all, I'd really appreciate the input.

SO I just got myself a laptop, and plugged it into the stereo that I use for my records/cd's/old desktop (this is minimal, a reciever, two speakers, and the practice amp I use for bass for a little extra in the low end. I'm a student, and I know its sad, but I don't have the room for a decent bass amp and a sub) THis has worked fine in the past for everything Ive used it with, but when I plug my laptop into it, it all makes horrible hissing, clicking, popping noises. The practice amp even makes the noises when the computer is plugged in, but I'm listening to the radio.

The thing is, It only does this If the computer is plugged in. When its running on batteries things are fine. This makes me assume that there's something going on due to the power adapter for the computer.

Sorry this is long and boring, but is there something I can buy/do to fix this, or am I doomed to a semester without music or movies?

Thanks

2. Have you tried plugging the laptop into another outlet? One possible culprit is the outlet not being properly grounded.