Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fishy, Dec 20, 2003.

1. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    Alright, in a paycheck or two I plan to be getting a new computer. I want to primarily use this for sound recording (bass, guitar, mic etc) I need to know what you would suggest on cooling, and sound card for recording.
    CAS-K228D ATX Mid Tower w/ 400W PSU $35
    Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) 333 MHz w/ 512K L2 cache $130
    ABIT NF7-S $145
    (x2) KingMax 512MB PC-2700 DDR333 SDRAM $204
    Maxtor 80.0GB $92
    LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW $45-ROM
    LG 16X DVD-ROM $36
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum $208(not set in stone, want some opinions on its recording capabilities)
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR $219
    (x2) network card $24
    (prices are canadian, found at http://www.canadacomputers.com/

2. i cant offer help as far as the sound card goes, but i will point out that you can get a western digital 80 GB harddrive for about 60 dollars from newegg.com instead of the 92 you are paying. thats 32 bucks saved :D

otherwise, should be a mighty fine machine!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Trade the soundblaster out for another card, like an M-audio delta series and you'll be good. SB is fine for playing things, they are not so good at recording things. You can get an audiophile 24/96 for 125$ or so IIRC. I'm not a big fan of the video card or the cdrw drive either, but that's really just a IMO type thing. Not to be a mod wannabe or anything but if you get this moved to recording gear it might work better for you. -If everyone can stop debating about whether the world is flat or not over there that is. ;)

Have I mentioned how much I love my homemade cable lately? Only cost 20$!

:meh:

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, shop around a little more, you can do better on a few prices in there I bet.

5. cabling is the devil!!!

we did it some last year in the A+ certification class i had at school. i wold get the little wires all straight and separated and go to crimp the connector and one would always slide out of place :mad:

6. thats how it was for me for my first 5 or so cables...but then it got to where I could do them pretty easy.

After "completing" the course and then bombing the CCNA to hell, I realized networking is not for me.

and for the question at hand, yeah, soundblaster is bad for recording puposes. Try blisshead's audiophile recomendation.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Everything looks fine to me.. except for the case. Now, cheap power supplys are usually very noisy bastards. I'd recommend that you get a separate power for some inexpensive case, for example something by Nexus whos supplys runs around $60 US and are very quiet, under 20db's is the key.

For the rest, get a silent processor cooler like Glacialtech Silent Breeze($20 or under) and add couple of sub-20db case fans, for example Papsts, one to blow in and one to blow out to the case fan holes. If possible, cut any case "grills"(eg. the holed areas on the fan hole) off and replace with normal wire finger protector.

Also, there are two additional sources of noise nowadays: the northbridge(the chip next to processor) cooler and the graphics card cooler. There are products to cure both, by Zalman for example. Go with passive heatsinks which have no fan to make noise with, and don't forget to put a thin layer of heat paste like Arctic Silver under each heatsink.

This adds some bucks to the final price, but you'll have a nice and silent machine as a result.

8. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    alright, I remember I looked at the audiophile stuff a while ago, but I formatted my hd the other day so I don't have it bookmarked anymore. does anyone have a link?

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php