New, Confused bass player needs help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hi people im a new bass player and im really confused if i should buy the Fender J-bass or the Ibanez sr300dx. Their relatively the same price. Please tell me your suggestions or if their any other basses you would reccomend for around 35o TNX!
  2. I strongly believe the best bass around that price by far is the Godin SD. It may be slightly more , maybe $400 or so, but it's well worth the extra. The materials and craftsmanship are very high quality from a very respected maker.

Look at their site:

3. I def recomend the Fender j, i wish i had one ,its tonal veriations and feel to the neck is great ( in my perspective) my vote goes to the J

4. Well,I would follow Rob W`s or Fleafan`s advice.Either the Fender J,or the Godin(never tried one though).Ibanezs(Ibanezi?)are decent for starter axes but if you have the choice I would opt for something else...although I really like my cheapy GSR190 :) Bottom line,play as many basses as you can,even the major ka-CHING ones...then you get some idea of the differances between makes and models...also what you do and don`t like.Remember you are the one who will be playing it! :D
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Usul is right, the ultimate choice is yours, and you should play all the basses you can...

BUT since you asked about those two, I say go Fender.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sorry Ibanez fans. I played some Ibanez basses this past weekend, and IMO, Ibanez basses are like turds - The new ones stink alot more than the old ones. However, I did play a Doug Wimbish sig. model (bolt-on neck) and I thought it was an excellent bass (better than the BTBs that I played, which I thought were ok).

If there's something about Ibanez basses that you like, I would recommend looking for an older used one. You'll save some cash and probably get a better bass.

Obviously, I'm recommending the Fender over the Ibanez.

I think if you have some patience and can scrape up a little more that $350, you might be able to snag a Kawai bass on eBay. These seem to be great basses for the money.

Also, I have seen Peavey G-Basses going for as little as $300 (w/o the case) on eBay.

Just a couple suggestions...:)
  7. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey is me again i might scrape up more money for a fretless fender j-bass but is is sutible for a begginer?
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are no hard and fast rules, so 10 people will disagree with this after I say it. But why go fretless? If you are a complete beginner, the frets are a help and guide and to a certain extent will make your life easier. On a fretless, you are going to have to intonate every note exactly and it gives you one more thing to worry about - with a fretted you can concentrate on all the other things you have to learn and as long as you have your fingers just behind the fret, not worry about intonation.

A fretted Jazz Bass is probably the best bass for a beginner, in many ways - lots of classic recordings have used these, lots of people know about them, so can give you advice safe in the knowledge that they know what they're talking about. Whereas Ibanez, say - change models every year and most people will not know anything about the particular model.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm with Bruce. I think the Mexican Jazz is the best starter bass out there. It has lots of tonal variation, has good construction and sound (for the money), the neck is rookie friendly, and will take you well past your beginner stage. As for the fretless - forget it for now.Why add to beginner frustration for no really good reason.

10. Don`t even think about fretless bro!Your frustration factor will be too high and hence you could be less likely to continue learning to play bass.Just my humble opinion! :)
  11. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey i wuz lookin at sam for some basses in my price range, could anyone tell me how the Brownsville Flash T-bass, Epiphone Explorer Bass, Hatrke WK-4 n AK-5. If any of u ppl got any sugeestions bout these basses let me no please tnx lots!
  12. as to your last post, from what ive heard none of those basses are very good. but on this board the majority will tell you to go with the fender j. it is a very versatile bass and i really wish i had started out on one. godins are cool too.
  13. Hey Tiemyshoe, you've just received a ton of good advise
    from some very knowledgeable people. If I might add my own
    two cents,in favor of the Fender; remember ALL Fender bodies and necks are interchangeable. You can also hot rod the bass in the future as money allows. First pickups, then maybe a bridge...

You can even get that fretless neck, and, if you find that you don't like it, simply put the old fretted one back on. Sound good? You bet it does! What a salesman I am.

Go Fender,Lad!

Mike J.
  14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, if you want fretless, get fretless from the start. it might be harder in the beginning, but you'll be a better player for it.
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i think you'll love the mexi jazz-i like mine alot & it has alot of sounds that i can use. I'm kinda partial to fender/fmic products.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with John T on the fretless thing.

If you want to play a fretless, go for it. If that's where you ultimately see yourself, why wait a year or two to get there?

The quicker you start playing fretless, the quicker your ear and intonation develop.

If you are not sure about fretless, listen to some fretless players and see what you think.

Also, what type of music are you wanting to play? You can play anything on a fretless that you can on a fretted, but most people don't play a fretless for punk, heavy metal or slap. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't?