Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new conklin groove tools signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 18, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can finally announce who the new conklin groove tools signature bass was made for ...

<drum roll>

ROCCO PRESTIA!!!

this bass should be available before the next namm show, a 4 string p-j config instrument. as soon as i can get some pictures, i will post them here.

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    whoa! That sounds pretty cool, a departure for Conklin? Do you know any of the specs on this new bass?

3. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Maybee they should do a John Turner signiture GT. ;)

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wish. that would be cool :D

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all i know at the moment is that it is a p-j, 21 fret model. i am going to be talking to bill next week some time and i will ask him then.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They should make a "JT GT", but, he doesnt have one similiar enough! :) That would rule though! Oh, John, i told Patrick and Gabe at Bass NW today about your basses. Patrick was laughing! He couldnt believe someone could play a doubleneck 7. They thought you were crazy!

And Rocco Prestia? Thats interesting!!! Its NOT like a GT, is it? Tell us more tell us more!

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yow. What did Conklin have to build to drag Rocco away from his beloved Precisions? Had he been playing different basses recently? I thought I saw him in a Fender print ad within the last year!

8. ... seeing Rooco playing your basses, John! :D

but, yeah... that must be some bass since it´s being made for rocco... I´ve never seen him play anything else than his Fender P-bass.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When was the last time you guys saw Rocco?:D He's used different basses, I recall seeing him with a Fernandes.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    supposedly there was a much-touted fender custom shop rocco sig p-bass that was supposed to come out, but according to what i heard, the fender custom shop jerked him around, so he went elsewhere, namely to conklin. there is also a t.m. stevens' sig groove tools in the works, as well as a few others.

from what bill told me, the bass is a fairly traditional instrument, 4 string of course, p-j setup. i'll try to get more info as soon as i can.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The new bass player even says hes playing a custom conklin! Whee! I cant wait to see it.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Who are the other people?

And its hard to imagine a p-bass with a wenge/purpleheart neck and purpleheart fingerboard...especially with the Conklin headstock!!!

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    John...that's cool.

And although I know this belongs in another forum, I just started learning some TOP stuff....and now Rocco Prestia is one of my heros. That dude KILLS. Funkiest white man in the universe, and chops to boot. :D This stuff is kickin' my white a$$. Gotta play "Soul Vaccination" at a gig tonite, and just learned it today, am I intimidated? Hell yes....but having fun too.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Let me guess, Gard...you're White. :D

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes, but don't tell anyone, ok? ;) (the paint usually fools 'em heh heh, and I don't play "white").

By the way, nailed "Soul Vaccination" on the gig, on fretless no less :D. The drummer/bandleader didn't even realize I'd played it on fretless until the trumpet player complimented me on the fact at the end of the night.

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I agree on the making a Conklin JT GT model..

John T: I've listen to the mp3 of your band, its awesome!! Nice bass :D Know anywhere I can buy some stuff? LIke CDs and stuff. I would like to get them

DM

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, thanks very much DarkMazda :D. we are almost done with our cds, we are doing 2 simultaneously, 70 mins a piece. when they are done we will announce it on our web site - http://lordonly.net

i will also probably be spackling talkbass with announcements. :D :D

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i got some more info on the rocco bass from bill conklin:

21 frets

p-j bartolinis - the j pickup is slanted a bit, and the p pickup is at a special spot, not the usual. string spacing exactly 1/2 way between the j spacing and the p spacing, birdseye maple fingerboard, and pickguard. volume, bass and treble tone controls. sidewinder style body, like the regular groove tools.

these are the specs for the "custom conklin bass" that bass player reported, as well as the specs for the groove tools rocco prestia sig line.

19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thats cool... they *should* make a jt model bass .. that would rule

ps how can i post a pic on the post a pic thread?

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they already do make JT signature basses - i'm just the only guy who has any :D. maybe someday :D

also, to post a pic, type the following (without the "*"'s)

*[*img*]* (link of where the picture is) *[*/img*]*

so for instance, to post the following pic of my doubleneck...

[​IMG]

i would type (again, without the *'s)...

*[*img*]*http://lordonly.net/lojtcdn1.jpg*[*/img*]*