New Cort B5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeffhigh, Aug 30, 2005.

1. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Hi Guys, had my new Cort for about a week now, my first 5 stringer, very pleased with it. BIG range of sounds just from the pickup blend and then a 3 band active eq on top.
    It's a swamp ash body, wenge/maple neck with rosewood board, hipshot ultralite licensed tuners, bartolini mk1 pups and preamp.
    Plays sweet, all I have done so far is lower the nut slots a little.

Attached Files:

2. I'm getting one of those on saturday, if I can get my dad to drive me to the store and back. Wheee :D
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. I wanted a bass that was modern in styling feel and sound but with the ability to get the more traditional sounds as well and the cort is doing all that for me so I dont really want to play my P bass at the moment.
  4. Hey, is that a dark wood neck? That's sort of unusual in a bass in this price range but I like the feature. They should do more of it.
  5. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    The neck on my Cort B4 fretless is wenge.
  6. Cort and Ibanez both use Wenge necks on their "Mid Price" range basses.

Ibanez uses Wenge/Bubinga on the 500 series.

Cort, as stated above, uses Wenge/Maple.

Ironically, both also use the same Bartolini Mk1 p'ups & pre.

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    I'd get one of those if it were'nt for the tight string spacing. They look real cool.
  8. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Yeah It's a wenge neck with 2 maple stringers, and a rosewood board.
    String spacing doesnt worry me as I come from a guitar background.
  9. Guess what I have sitting in my room right now :hyper:

It's a great bass. I played it in the store, and now I'm playing it at home, and it's got a real sweet sound. I wonder what it will sound like once the 'new' on the strings wears off.

Coming from a cheap P-squier, this is sooo much better. There's no more static in my amp (used to have massive static when not touching the strings), now it's gone. The slapping tone is way better, and the range of sounds I can get is a blast. The sound I want is in there somewhere, only have to find it :) And when I hit that low B, my closet doors start shaking. Niiiice :D

As mentioned before, string spacing could be an issue. It'll take me some time to adapt, but I'm willing to do that. Only slapping (I wasn't very good at it anyway) tends to be even more difficult because of that.
  10. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i absolutely LOVE my Cort B4FL. it, too, has the wenge neck. however, it has the older model bartolini MK-1 electronics.
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Awesome buy man! I love Corts.
  12. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Looks great man, how's the neck dive on it?
  13. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Neck dive? is not an issue.
    Very comfortable to play strapped on or seated.
    Glad you are enjoying yours JDT.
    Only lack of funds is stopping me getting a fretless version
  14. Do you mean a 4 fretless or a 5? I've been on their website, and I've checked out lots of other sites and I've never seen the 5 in a fretless version.
  15. I am a bit of a Cort fanatics well. They are fantastic basses. Congrats on a nice purchase :D
  16. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    They used to have a 5 fretless but it may have been discontinued.