Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Crest 8200 with 120V/30a plug

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmk, Feb 15, 2005.

1. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Just received a new Crest 8200, but it came with a 30 amp plug. Can I safely switch it to a 15 amp plug? What other options do I have?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    the 8200 and 9200 both come that way. The new ones are hardwired plugs. I've had to order them and special request them with the standard plug. Not sure what all they do when they switch them out for me, but I haven't had any problems. I do have one with the removable cord and a standard plug. Not sure if they switched anything inside or not. You need to contact Crest about this more then likely.

3. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks. I called Crest and they said just switch the plug to a 15amp. I don't know very much about amps and volts, and wanted to make certain that I wouldn't fry anything.

Anyone else have comments about swithing to a 15 amp plug?

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It isn't going to hurt anything, it's just that the amplifier has the potential to draw well over 15 amps. So if you're pushing it hard, there's a good chance you're going to flip a breaker if you're plugged in to a typical outlet. 99% of the outlets you use are only rated to pass 15 amps, so they are hooked up to 15 amp breakers.

Since this amp has the potential to draw more than 15 amps in normal use, it has to be equipped at the factory with a 20 (or 30) amp plug in order to pass UL safety codes.

5. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    I have the same amp and had the same problem; I swore the amp was wired for 220 because the plug was exactly like the one on my clothes dryer. Changing the plug to a 15 amp standard three prong has worked fine; I haven't flipped a breaker even when playing loud, which probably speaks to the huge amount of headroom this amp has. I have been VERY happy with the amp! It sounds great with my Alembic F1X preamp, and is an absolute earthquake through two Genz-Benz NeoX212T's with a five-string.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Anyone else have comments about switching to a 15 amp plug?

1) If possible, plug into your own service, with no other amps on it.

2) Higher impedance loads draw less current than lower ones.

3) You're leaving something on the table, but if it sounds good, it is good.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my pal had crown amps like that. he was able to find adaptors for them so he could use them in a club, but when playing large outdoor venues we could have an electrician come in and hook us up with a 30 amp socket from the pole or what have you.