1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new Crown XTI or used QSC PLX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcapote, May 1, 2010.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    I can either buy a Crown XTI 2000 new or a QSC PLX1804 both will be the same price. I don't see either one going past 4ohms per channel non bridged. am I better off buying the new crown or buying the used QSC? this will be for PA running bass and drums through it too.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    New crown absolutely. For PA its onboard DSP is invaluable. Excellent warranty too.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have three xti2000's and love them for bass, subs or monitors. at 18.5lbs and at they're fairly lightweight considering thier power. a new drivecore XLS2000 would also be a nice choice.

4. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    XLS2000 would be about $50 more than the others which atm is out of my price range so unless it was that much better than the XTI I would have to pass.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think the XLS series will be a little bit of a gamble at this point, given the issues discovered with the various ultralight class D power amps so far. I'm sure they will get it all correct eventually but I find the proposition a but dubious at this point.

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    to be honest I never even seen the XLS series until this post. I originally was looking between the PLX, the XTI, and the Carvin DCM1540L, everyone seemed to love their XTIs and QSCs, where it was iffy opinions on carvins. I just didnt know if 1 was more or less reliable for live gigging since it will be awhile before I can afford a "backup" amp. Around here(Miami) it seems like all the bands use QSC, however on TB I always see people raving about the XTIs too.

7. I would definitely select the Crown. I have one and it is a gr8 power amp. The only reason I had mine up for sale here is because I could not find a good preamp suited for my needs until I found the Trace GP12SMX.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another in favor of the Crown. Best deal going. We just equipped our PA rack with 3 XTi 2Ks and it kills........and is a lot easier on the back than the old peavey boat anchors we had.

9. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well i pulled the trigger and ordered an XTI 2000 how good is the crossover in it? no need to buy an external? I will need to crossover channel 1 and 2 at about 150-175Hz

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, all of the crown xti amps DSP features are excellent.

11. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    The XTi Kills. I love mine.