new Cure album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jun 30, 2004.

1. anyone else bought the new eponymous album from The Cure?

it's produced by Ross Robinson (Korn etc.)

I prefer it to the sombre IMO subdued Bloodflowers album from 2000.

Simon Gallup seems to use Gibson Thunderbirds for most of it (as seen in the DVD with the deluxe edition), although the single "The end of the world" sounds like a Rick, with a bit of chorus.
    most of the songs sound like drop-D tuning on the bass.

fave tracks so far are the aforementioned song, The promise and Truth, goodness and beauty.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Strange how the Cure is one of my favorite bands and biggest influences, and yet I haven't bought anything of their since Wish. Am I missing out?
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Nope. I, too, am a longtime fan, but I haven't bought any of their CDs since "Wish", either.
  4. bah.
    I think Wild Mood Swings, despite the general bashing it seems to get, has some nice basslines on it eg. Club america, Jupiter Crash, Round and round.

5. what bands does David Thorpe actually like?
    let's see- Joy division, Pavement, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Echo & the Bunnymen, Radiohead Coldplay all "suck".
    David Thorpe=poor imitation of the Melody Maker's "Mr Agreable" :p
  6. Well, I think the album is very good. I like all the songs from this album,but I have to say that at first,I didn't liked it at all. After listening for a while I started to like it more.
  7. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    got it yesterday. haven't given it enough listens to form an opinion yet but so far, so good.
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    The opening song is really intense, I never heard that singer scream that much...
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I saw the Cure early this summer at Coachella and got to hear some of the new songs. I think they were pretty good (I don't remember titles, sorry). I was surprised at how strong they sounded in general. Robert Smith's playing was ok (not great), but the bass, keys, and drums made up for that. Simon played a Thunderbird through the whole set, and it made me miss mine for a moment.

The most recent album I have is Fascination Street. :meh: Not a bad soundtrack for my high school days which I am glad are over...

10. is that a compilation album, or do you mean Disintegration, that Fascination street is on?

The Cure seem to be in vogue again- lots of airplay, lots of bands mentioning them as an influence.
    Uncut magazine did a cover feature on them, and the press are giving them far better reviews than in the 90's.

hopefully Simon Gallup will do an interview with a bass magazine at last.....
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    oops, I mean Disintegration. That's what I get for posting while still asleep. :meh:

12. I bought this album (it's my first Cure album too. But damned Newburry Comics nor Borders had Disintergration), and I had been a long time Cure fan, just never bought the CDs. (I didn't download them either.) I just bought a bunch of compliation CDs of new wave and post punk stuff that had alot of Cure songs on it.
  13. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I find myself in your boat on this matter.
    Saw them in a field in 1995 and they were the best guitar/pop band I've seen to date. Maybe I was young enough not to be bored senseless by the dry ice and gloominess of it all, bass and guitars arranged with very good taste. What's the song?- edge of the deep sea or (summit?) still stands out as a good memory.
  14. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I listened to it. Didn't like it. Sounds like Robert Smith is listening to too much Death Cab for Cutie or something. Emo-Cure...yuck.

I agree with the poster above me though, "Edge of the Deep Green Sea" is a magnificent song.
  15. Do you have Transatlanticism? It doesn't sound like Emo-core at all, except for "The New Year"
  16. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    Yea...I have Transatlanticism. It's a great album but it still fits pretty easily into the whole emo thing IMO...