New Custom Bass Arriving Soon..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I won this bass on ebay for around $800. Maple & Walnut striping w/ an ebony fingerboard, 34" scale, grover tuners, quickchange bridge, ebony knobs, and emg pickups. Has a nice aesthetic mix of a carl thompson horn w/ an alembic headstock ;) I'll give a fuller review of it's tonality once I get it either Friday or Monday. I'm stoked :hyper:

new_bass1.jpg

new_bass2.jpg

new_bass3.jpg

2. I'm really interested to see the other side of the control cavity cover with the battery box. =)

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, me too ;) It's wired volume/volume/tone and doesn't have an external preamp. I've also got a one week unconditional return guarantee if it doesn't feel right to me. Seems win / win.

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Very nice. The stripes might be making me dizzy, but it looks like the bridge might be mounted a bit askew.... as long as the strings line up along the neck, I guess it doesn't matter.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ever so slightly it may be askew. It could also be an optical illusion w/ the striping ;) I'll give it a full rundown when I receive it. I dig it's uniqueness and the ebony fingerboard.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yea you're right. It's skewed ever so slightly. I can tell that the E & A have sort of a angle to them at the bridge.

Very interesting bass. Let us know it is :)

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    well, with the one week unconditional, at least you're not at any disadvantage. Only potential problem I can foresee with a twisted bridge could be some intonation trouble and possibly strings snapping at the bridge, depending how much of an edge the saddles have.

Give it some good hard hours of playing and constantly check your intonation. If it holds up, you're good to go. If any of those things occur, I'd send it back.

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I detune a bit and use lower gauge strings w/ very low action, so I don't see string snapping as much of a potential problem.

However, I'll definately keep an eye on intonation. My initial thought is that it won't be much of a problem, if any, since it's so minimally off. If I end up really liking the bass and it only has minor intonation problems, I'll just remount the bridge straighter. Either that or just install a tremelo ;) Phew, I'd really be pushing the Claypool persona then.. haha..

9. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    My concern with the strings breaking has to do with a sharp edge of the saddle pressing into the side of the string, since the string won't be sitting perfectly straight in the groove that it's machined to sit in, so no matter what tension is on the string, it can still cause a weak spot and increse the chance of it snapping.

If you do decide to re-mount the bridge, you'll have to fill in the original screw holes because since it appears to be only ever-so-slightly off, the new holes will likely overlap the old ones. If you do this, make sure you fill the holes with solid pieces of wood, wedged in with some hide glue, let it harden for at least 24 hours, then drill new holes, otherwise you'll have a weak mounting that will work itself loose over time.

Anyway, I hope none of that is an issue and you can enjoy the thing for a long time, $800 is a good price for a custom bass, especially if it is sound and more importantly, you like it. Good luck. ;)

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you could get a black bridge and some black tuners that would look immense. Looks like a great find!

11. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow.. I received the bass today and it sounds and feels absolutely amazing! It has a satin-like finish, perfectly leveled frets, perfect intonation, and a tone to die for. I'll be jamming on it more tonight, but my initial impressions are extremely good. Hoozah! :) :)

12. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    +1 for the Zebra bass!

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Thats interesting , let us know what you think.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021