New custom bass from S.Korea.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cat_saltnpepper, Sep 10, 2005.

1. cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    mahogany body with burl top,
    paduk neck with wendge board,
    sadowsky pre with lindy fralin pick-up.
    knobs are volume, volume, master tone, treble and bass boost.
    master tone has push/pull set up for active/passive.
    he did most of the process by his hands, he even used the small brush for the finish instead of spraying tool.
    I've been @fodera shop before but this person showed more effort and passion on his instrument than anyone else.- maybe because it's his first one?
    I wish he can make 5-string with 24fret for me:)

Attached Files:

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Does this luthier have a name?
    Sounds like hes trying to make a name for Korean instruments.

Looks great though. How does it sound?
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Gorgeous, especially the neck!
  4. cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    I didn't get luthier's name since he posted about it on korean internet forum with his ID. This first one called 'Soo' bass, I think it named after Luthier.

soundwise, it's been on the gig once with this chicago-ish funk/pop band with several horns.
    According to the bass player of the band,
    neck is not too thin, thick enough to feel the neck like the vintage fender, string tension was very comfortable to play while it still gives you very tight and responsive sound which cut through the mixer very well. Player was very surprised of balance of the instrument. Even if it's the first one, sound was pretty even and balanced all over the neck.

About the Luthier,
    he's been playing e.bass with local pops orchestra for several years, did good amount of live/studio sessions in S.Korea. His main instrument has been vintage fender, bolt-on fodera monarch with JJ figure, and mike lull.

and finally to let you know how he's passionate about the instrument:),
    he actually hand made a few part of hardware(nuts and bridge maybe?) with fire and hammer..heh. I guess first one is always special.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    headstock looks suspiciously "Atelier Z", but other than that, VERY COOL looking bass... joh-tah! ;)

but cmon, "more effort and passion" than the Fodera boyz? i'm sure Vinnie and Joey were like that on their very first project. :smug:
  6. cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    yeah...I guess I was bit dramatic...:)