1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Custom Coming Soon to Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Jan 25, 2017.

1. I've had a longtime project going with a good friend of mine, Nashville luthier Tim Miller, who spends a good portion of his time guitar teching for major artists like Big and Rich and Robert Randolph. Tim and II designed it together a few years back, and he's been plugging away between tours. I didn't want to post anything as we've progressed along since he's had permission to back burner this and just work on it in what we laughingly call his "spare time," but we're getting close to the end and I'm really excited to share. Hoping to see this in the next couple of months, depending on Tim's schedule.

I was going for kind of an MTD/Warwick amalgamation as far as the body shape goes, but I've been a Music Man Stingray player most of my life and wanted to be in that realm tonally.

Specs:
    5 string fretted bass, Ash body, birdseye maple neck, ebony fingerboard, slant headstock
    Neck specs are basically the same as a Music Man Stingray 5
    Finish: enhanced grain on the ash with a brownish burst
    Audere 3 band preamp, vol/bal, 3 way mid frequency switch.
    Pickups: Nordstrand MM 5.2, Nordstrand 5 string jazz split coil.
    Black Hipshot hardware.

The slant headstock is slight, but I'm wondering if there's going to be any problem with putting it in a gig bag. I live in a resort town, I'm using a downsized rig for lots of my gigs due to parking issues and generally carry by bass on my back in a bag. Any experiences? Not overly concerned, just keeping it in mind.

Some pics. I know, no pics, no bass. ;) He just finished spraying it and will be buffing it out, installing the headstock inlay that I designed, and assembling the bass soon.

Headstock. Back. Body.

BurnOut, Ghastly, Mr_O'B and 4 others like this.
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That, dear sir, is one sweet piece of ash! :D :whistle:

I know there are gig bags that have an extra piece of padding just below the headstock to give it some elevation. That's one possibility. If you're looking for some stronger protection, but still want to keep the weight manageable, I'm a big fan of this SKB polyfoam case;

Universal Shaped Electric Bass Soft Case | SKB Music / ProAV

Obviously, check the dimensions to see if your fiver will fit, but if it helps at all, I can fit a Fender fiver inside and still have a small amount of top to bottom wiggle-room. It may not be ABS bulletproof, but it offers much more protection than a gig bag. And while my SKB weighs in at an even six pounds, it's well-distributed and doesn't feel like that much.

DennyOnBass likes this.
  3. :roflmao: Tim was living and working in the same town as me when we started this, so I was able to go to his shop and pick out my own piece of ash (I feel so dirty saying that!).

We aren't sure at this point if he's delivering it or shipping it, depends on how much time he has to get it done and how his travel plans shape up, so, as I was thinking about it last night, I decided that a hardshell case is going to make more sense for protection while it's traveling to Michigan from Nashville.

I realized too last night that I do have a custom fretless that I got from Jack Read years ago that also has a slant headstock. I used to keep it in a Protek Contego gig bag that had the extra piece of padding that you're referring to, so this new bass should be fine. I think the hardshell makes more sense for traveling, and I can always sell it or keep it once it arrives here.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

…and The Great Trash Heap bids you welcome! :D

s-l1000.

DennyOnBass likes this.
  5. We've been trying to get our kids into some of the older kid's shows. So far, Fraggle Rock is the only one that has stuck. ;)

Malak the Mad likes this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    I Love ash!!!!

looks like a bass (not like a table!):thumbsup:
    and that hony- brownburst finish you got it right man!!!

as soon as you have it - let us hear the sound of your beauty!!!drool

Please get a hardcase: A princess like this has to be protected:) IMHO

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

DennyOnBass likes this.
  7. There will be pics and photos and clips. I have a coffee table bass or two, I wanted something very utilitarian that popped but wasn't too insane.

8. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Wow, really pretty!

DennyOnBass likes this.
  9. Malak the Mad

Not a bad choice! You might be able to use that as a little leverage if/when you want to introduce them to Henson's more mature offerings…specifically, I'm talking about "The Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth". And the latter might get them interested in Bowie, along with a whole array of fantasy-driven faire (I'm looking at you, "Neverending Story"!) if that's also to your liking. :thumbsup:

Oh, and sorry for the off-topic-deviation. :sorry: