Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New custom F Bass Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bad dog, Feb 20, 2004.

1. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    I don't do much posting here, although I do read pretty regularly, but I wanted to share my excitement with my new custom F Bass fretless.

It's a BNF5 ..... grain enhanced ash body (topless!) with a caramelburst finish and Hipshot metal bridge, diamondwood fingerboard with bubinga lines, F preamp, black hardware and a V/V/T set-up.

I should be getting it next week some time, so I'll have to post a review after I get a chance to play it a bit. From the pics it looks like Mitch Starkman had a chance to play it, so it'd be nice if he'd chime in here and give his impression.

I purchased it through Adrian Garcia at AccessBass and gotta give him props for excellent service and advice. It's nice to have someone who knows alot about the building process and who can also play his butt off giving you advice about tonal choices.

Enjoy the pics. Peace

Tony

2. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    wow! nice bass!

3. So from the looks of it, your basses is a really more like a BN5 without frets than a standard BN5f, since it's got the swamp ash body, no fingerboard extension, and a preamp. I'm curious to hear about how it sounds compared to a regular BN5F. Looks really nice! I swear, that carmel burst is exactly like the honey burst on my F Bass. I notice almost no difference at all.

4. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Yeah Jacob, it's exactly a BN5 with a lined diamondwood fingerboard. I just love my fretted BN5 and wanted that sound in a fretless, plus all the adjustability is there also.
    I really dig the way it came out aesthetically.

George did a few tweaks to enhance the qualities of a fretless. He moved the bridge pick-up slightly towards the bridge and tuned the mid frequency band on the preamp a little higher than on the stock preamp.I'm stoked to get it.

The finish is caramelburst, but the caramel, honey and amber bursts are all real similar to one another.

5. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    Tony

geez...I REALLY wish I dident have to see my mug up here- had no idea what or why George was taking pics. I've been up at the shop lately working on another project with him and I get to try out some of the basses- hope you dident mind!

I thought your bass sounded really good.The playability was amazing actually- very low action with no buzz and lots of mwah because of it. Looks killer too. The preamp tweak was something we tried out months ago and thought it may help the ash fretlesses sing a little more in the upper registers. Same thing with the back pup placement, that, and to add even a little more definition.

Anyways, great bass ...let us know how you like it!

Mitch

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Congrats Tony! I miss my BNF6 something terrible. George makes wonderful basses & that Adrian guy...well you know. ;)

It really stands out from other F Bass in a very beautiful way! Hey Adrian...where's my new bass?

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

7. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Hey Mitch,
    Sorry about plastering your mug around, but it's the only full shot of the bass that George sent my way! :)

I'm glad you got a chance to play it and thought it sounded cool - I don't mind one iota . Maybe I'll PM you for your full impression.

peace,
    Tony

8. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    Thanks Mark,

Should be pretty cool through the AG Tri210L coming my way. :)

You also do wonderful work!

9. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto

No worries about the pic...haha..just was shockingly unexpected...just was there at the shop and then..wammo!....out of nowhere....he dident even give warning- I'll get him back!

I answered your PM.

M

10. :hyper: Hi Mitch,
    While you were at the shop did you happen to see whats happening with a spalt/quilt BN-6?
    John

11. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    John-

Ya...I've been admiring that one too! The body is still in the spray booth and the neck is too. I love it....spalt is one of my fav. and that one looks great. The headstock is killer too.

I'm not sure where in the whole spray process its at.

thats going to be one blond beauty.

M

12. Mitch,
    Thanks for the info, it helps bide the time, I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to have a pic of George playing my bass when it's done.

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    its crazy how many people in here know each other

i live in hamilton and i frequent the f bass shop often, it truly is great down there

and i mst say, mitch is a delight to hear on bass
    i remember he tore the club up on mine about a year ago

i'm lving it

14. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Hey MODNY- thanks for the nice words!

Was that a Studio model you have?

Mitch