Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Custom FBass BN5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basses55, Sep 6, 2003.

1. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    ...hi all:)...well...members like to post their new basses here and I love to see them myself ..so I thought I'd post one of my own...
    I've been waiting for this one a little while and just picked it up a few days ago. It's a great bass! Very happy with the way it turned out. Specs:

(a little heavier)ash body
    ambrosia top and headstock with veneer
    one piece maple neck
    birdseye board
    smaller frets
    thinner nut width

...it sounds great- very solid with great lower mids and bottom end and very even highs...it plays like butter with low action and no fret buzz. The workmanship is , as always, beautiful at FBass. These are wonderful instruments and this one represents that again.....(its my 2nd one). I cant really ask for anything more that I need than what this bass can deliver.

Thanks George!

2. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    ...another one...the pics a re a little darker than I would have liked but you can get the idea:D

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you suck!! ( in a good way..)
    Mitch , thats looks amazing... too bad it sounds like crap,, im sure!!-:D
    im going for two more!!!!!!

4. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    ok..one more....!

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, what a beautiful bass. I'm noticing the little strip between the body and the top, what is that, walnut? ebony? I LOVE my F basses, currently I have four of them and I'm jonesing for another one (a fretless BNF5)! George does amazing work, his artistry and craftsmanship just keeps getting better and better. Congratulations on your new acquisition! - Brian

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    STUNNING! Let me guess... Ambrosha = quilted, flamed & spalted in one?

I like it!

7. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    ..thanks Adrian....! You know about these- this one feels/plays /and sounds incredibly solid....its going to make me lazy because its so easy to play...

I replied to your post over at the Yahoo FBass Forum....those basses are going to be wonderful too...that 6 sounds too much..if I played 6s I'd have a BN6!

everyone should have...ACCESS...to a bass like this!
    ;)

8. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    nonsqtr- its not walnut ..actually I forgot what it is he uses for a veneer..but it looks great with the tops to frame them and add contrast..the headstock has it too. Yes...I love my FBasses and have put the one I've owned for the last few years through alot of workouts in the studio...and always came up with a great sound.

Spedding..thanks!..its quite amazing how many different things are going on in that top. It has flame, different hues and shades, lines, shapes...etc...its quite dramatic. George does great work and I think he understands the asthetics of a bass without compromising anything that would take away from it being a first rate useful playing and sounding workhorse instrument..

9. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    ...headstock (what the heck)

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Mitch, just got off the phone with Georgie Porgie...he is sending that purple 6 down for me to sell and in the meanwhile i get to try it out and see how it feels, heck, ,im not a 6 playe reither, i have been thru Bebeense, MTD and Rocoe sixes.. but still i want something with an extended upper range just to indulge my overplaying needs;)
    in fact, we talked about me going ALL out and getting a 7! what the heck, right?.... he is going to see if a 7 will fit in that ebony top i sent him- in the menwhile, in hyped about the fretless ceruse with diamondwood because i think it will blend beautifully together..

James- the Ambrosia is called that because Ben Luzier who im pretty sure supplied that top, says theres a bug called an ambrosia that eats thru the wood leaving traces, so he calls it ambrosia spalt- though Mitch's piece is a bit more dramatic- you can see ambrosia spalt from Ben Luzier on the Benavente sc 5 i'm about to receive- its the same stuff!-
    Mitch - i as thinking about you because i know you have some beautiful Foderas- i have an Emperor Elite here that is a kick ass bass no doubt, but i STILL would not trade my F for it! the F is so easy to play it alsmost like cheating!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :cool: You know... I was just dreaming/GASing last night on a fretted Vortex 7 -Ash core, top and backed in Thuya Burl like your Roscoe with a bird's-eye board :eek:

Very Cool info, thanks

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Looks Great! I'm sure it's mind blowing in person!!! I've got to try an F soon.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that is a beauty of a bass! Very nice.

You guys are going to talk me out of selling my BNF5!

14. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Adrian..i played the purple 6 last week and it sounded real nice...like all the 6s I've played. Its good your going to have it to help you with deciding what you want...
    .....I saw that Fodera up there on your site..looks real nice. My Foderas both play great...and sound great too...just different animals than the F. As many Foderas are to each other- because they can be so different( my Foderas dont have the specs of the one on your site).
    My Two Fs now are like brothers because they have the unmistakable F sound and playability but with slightly different sounds because of the boards..I really like that variety and choice .

Thanks for the interesting info on the ambrosia...I'll check it out!
    M

15. George Furlanet

George Furlanet Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    President, F Bass Inc
    Since we are on tops, check this one out!
    Quilted, amberburst, with black accent line, made of dyed holly or pear, birdseye fretboard, mathching headstock, black hardware. Both the customer and I were stunned by the beauty of the completed bass!

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    there you are!
    let it be seen by all!!
    [​IMG]

17. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    ...George...tell me "bursted colors" affect the TONE of a bass so I can justify a 3rd BN5....

:D (I'll believe you)

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    likeyou didn't know that already!!:rolleyes:

19. WOW!

That is beautiful! Bet it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

Congrats!!
    Jeff

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Amazing top! I'm usually not a fan of cherry bursts, but the color and figuring are great on that bass. That one will turn some heads, for sure! :eek: