New Custom Flea Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garret Wheeler, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    Did anyone else notice the awesome new Jazz basses Flea had built by the Fender Custom Shop for the current RHCP tour?

If you haven't seen them, here's a link to his and Josh Klinghoffer's Rig Rundown video:

They get to Flea's rig at about 30:47
    The custom basses come out at around 31:24

It's nothing insane, just a rear-route Jazz bass with a single MM-style pickup, Badass Bridge, and 22 frets, but it looks awesome! His tech didn't demo them in the video, but I imagine they would sound very similar to Flea's standard MM-type tone, which isn't bad at all.

Just wondering if anybody else was interested in these or if anyone out there is using something similar?

Zane DeBord and gjohnson441496 like this.
  2. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    Here's a couple of quick screenshots if you don't feel like watching the video.
    Flea bass.png Flea bass 2.png

wizay and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I'd buy one.

klaymaster likes this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Fender headstock with MM style pickup and pickup placement? Sounds like a good sponsorship deal.

5. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Yeah when you want to be endorsed by Fender but you still can't get over the sound of a Music Man.

6. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    It's actually a lane poor, so if anything id say it sounds more like his modulus.

He has a couple now. I think no inlays on most of them, or the words FLEA as an inlay.

I'm a little confused about his endorsement deal with fender. Why not make this version of his bass? I think a simple jazz with a humbucker would sell well. Music man now makes p and j style basses, fender should crank out more with humbuckers

klaymaster likes this.
  7. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    Maybe a Fender Dimension bass would be good for him. At least to try.

Zane DeBord likes this.
  8. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Does anyone know what is the diapason of this bass ? Doesn't look like a classic jazz + badass bridge, like on the Geddy Lee bass. The bridge is closer to the neck. Why ? The jazz, stingray and funk unlimited normaly have a 34" diapason

9. -1.png

Probably the 22 frets and a new body concept to make it less neck heavy.

Clemouze and Yahboy like this.
  10. I bet that sounds great. I'm surprised Fender never tried to take a chunk of the Musicman market in a bigger way by building more basses with a fat MM-style humbucker in the sweet spot.

11. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Thank you I didn't think it could be a brand new shape

Zane DeBord and FenderOli like this.
  12. This is all very interesting but if you want to play a Stingray then play one - however this looks more like a Modulus clone to me - I wonder how long it will take Fender CS to create a graphite neck.......it's a bit like Lewis Hamilton wanting to drive a Mercedes but Ford pay him more to be seen driving a Ford copy of the Mercedes (although he probably drives the Mercedes really in the privacy of his own time...) all a bit odd. Great for the Flea fans though - especially as his live sound will be - aherm - Modulussy!!

Anyway each to their own - these basses look interesting - but why the change to Lane Poor from Aguillar - I guess to get closer to the Modulus rather than 2 band Stingray.

Stranger things have happened - anyone for a Fender Jack Bruce signature EB3 copy - or a Paul McCartney Fender 4003 copy (carefully avoiding any copyright issues of course) hmmm!!

The Dimension is of course an 18 volt preamp design so possibly has more in common with a Bongo than the Stingray (classic 9 volt powered preamp).

13. I just noticed the “ergonomic neck heel joint” on this one. It has the 5-bolt, carved heel. Even the Elite Jazz’s heel is not carved. It’s simply a 5-bolt rounded heel.

0197102752_gtr_back_001_rl.jpg

019710-1-2-12-2_jbass-v_3-7-amelt-heel.jpg

14. The Dimension doesn’t sound anything like a Bongo...operating voltage doesn’t dictate how a preamp is voiced, it dictates how hard it can be pushed while producing a clean, undistorted signal.

But in any case, the question of why switch to a Jazz-shaped body while attempting to retain a Stingray-esque sound?
    I myself found the Jazz body perhaps the most comfortable design I have ever played in my 25 years of playing. And I only found that out within the last couple years because I never owned any Jazz basses until a recently.
    I also simply love the Stingray sound, which is why I installed a MM bridge pickup into one of mine.
    The sound will never be exact, but it’s close...

And I don’t see how the Jazz looks anything like the Modulous...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  15. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France

Ha yes the wheel looks like an hybrid between a standard one and the 5-bolt one of the Elite