Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new custom: Hollow or Solid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Jul 6, 2004.

New Custom Singlecut construct:

Poll closed Jul 20, 2004.
  1. Hollowbody

46 vote(s)
    39.7%
  2. Solidbody

44 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Got any hollow carrots?

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys - I'm commissioning a custom 6-string from Chris Stambaugh (finally!) and I haven't decided yet on all the details...

Mark 'ProgZilla' Beem's new Conklin hollowbody got me to thinking about perhaps making it a hollow instrument - get a little of that unexplained cool sound that jazzbox guitars seem to have... But I can't decide.

So: Hollow or Solid? It's gonna be a single-cut design, somewhat between Fodera's Beez and AJ models. Explain your choice if you would as well.

Also of note: 34 vs 35" scale, but I have to make that decision on my own =0)

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I voted for "hollowbody". Some of my favourite looking basses are hollowbodies / semi-acoustics, (Mark's hollowbody Conklins, Citron AE-5, Shuker Artist etc).

I've been looking at hollowbody and semi-acoustic basses myself lately, as the "ideal tone" that I hear in my head is probably along the lines of a low-tuned "jazz guitar".

Hope you end up with pleased with whatever you order.

DB

3. I voted hollowbody, too, because that's the way I went with my Curbow 6.

How much difference the "hollow" vs. "solid" thing makes will really depend on the individual builder, though. Some chamber the body purely to reduce weight, while others really work at getting a more resonant tone from the hollowbody. Mark's Conklins clearly fall into the latter category, and my Curbow is constructed very much like Greg's big acoustic-electric basses, but I've played some hollow/semi hollow basses where it seemed to make no real difference. I don't know anything about Stambaugh's hollowbodys, though.

Mike

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes, I love my hollow-carcass!!!! However, my reasons were more playing related than with sound. To me the hollow design was more comfortable both while sitting and standing. As I've said before had I known how much I was going to like my hollow 7 I would have had my first 8 string Conklin hollow as well. My new 8 can get as gritty and growly as my solid 8. I haven't done a proper side-by-side yet as I need to get some new strings for the Spalt 8.

On a side note, I'm seriously looking at Chris to do my next bass.. I really love the single-cut 8 string he has on his website!!!!

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dave,

I gave you carrots, but honestly,, I think I'd go solid... Unless you want to go hollow for weight savings...

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I voted hollowbody, but either would be good. The question is, what sound are you looking for? A hollowbody with a piezo bridge can give you a very cool sound, but if it isn't the sound you are after, then it is a waste of time.

I went solid body on my 6 that I just received, but I would like to go hollow on the fretless 6 that I plan to have built next year.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You have Les Claypool listed as one of your influences - so I think you know that tone I want so bad... the Rainbow bass is hollow... I would go hollow, but its up to you to decide what tone you want

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I voted hollow too...

It will be light, but give the tone an interesting airy quality.

I've been gassing for such a bass for a long time....

If you do go hollow you should consider a piezo bridge to go with the magnetic for more interesting tonal combinations. And if you go fretless.... :bassist:

9. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had no idea the Rainbow was hollow. Hell, didn't know CT made hollowbodies at all. But whether it is or it isn't, I just love the "rubbery" tone Les always seems to have. If hollow will help me get there then full speed ahead!

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    (Dumb) questions - would the hollow body be thicker? Would it be proportioned differently (like would the upper non-cut go out farther)?

Basically, I'm wondering how playability changes (other than weight)...

Just curious,
    Marshall

11. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    In Mark's Conklin, the hollowbody is indeed thicker, more toward the acoustic side of things, with soundholes on the back of the bass-side horn.

- My Stambaugh, according to Chris, would not be appreciably thicker; he said he would route out the chambers before applying a face to the back of the bass, and I've asked him about soundholes in front but we haven't really discussed that bit yet.

As for the shape, it isn't changing at all from what i drew up. (unless it's so Fodera-like to Chris that we have to change a line here and there)

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's my new one..

[​IMG]

I have no problem with playability. :)

13. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    How the hell do you play that beast?!? Massive!

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a BIG Hollow Body fan, sounds like an interesting bass.

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds and looks great...I was thinking about neck dive when I asked about the upper bout being lengthened (because of body lightness), but I'm sure you and Chris have that covered. Bass thickness doesn't sound like it'll be a problem.

Sounds like a killer bass. I'm voting hollow. I love the liveliness/responsiveness of a hollowbody.

Marshall

16. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    The rainbow bass is not hollow........

17. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    The hollow sounds nice with a maple neck. I've been looking forward to my new chamberd bass to compare. Benavente will be upgrading my Conklin hollow body basses to give me what was missing from the original
    concept. Hollow has punch.

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Yeah... sorry for that... I've checked the CT site twice or even three times read the whole, and then Les's sites, and it really does not say it. I dont know where I've heard it (most probably it was TB), but since its not mentioned neither at CT's site, nor at Les's sites, then it must be wrong... Sorry for that, again...
    :oops:
    :bag:

but I still think a hollowbody would be great! :cool: