Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new custom Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here's my new Roscoe! Serial number 5000, one piece exhibition myrtle body, with maple fingerboard. It's a slap machine, it sounds awesome through a tube amp or a solid state rig. The myrtle is relatively heavy and gives the low end a solid character, with lots of sustain, and a good strong fundamental. The maple fingerboard gives it some snap, and a nice thumpin' sound in the midrange. Keith has really outdone himself this time, this is a superb instrument.

2. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Here are a couple more pics.

3. Poor Quality...I mean,the pick-ups aren't even straight! C'mon! :spit:

Just kidding :hyper:

Nice looking bass,enjoy.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Lookin' pretty sweet! Congrats on the new Roscoe! :D

5. That's one fine looking Roscoe!! Congrats :hyper:

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    One of the nicer slabs of myrtle I've seen.
    They usually seem to end up on Roscoes too.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm selling my old one on eBay, in case anyone's interested. It's a beautiful highly figured burl myrtle body LG-3005 with a purpleheart neck (all brown in color, no purple). Less than a year old, in perfect condition, all documentation and etc.

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Looking good. Congrats!

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Very nice. :)

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Wow!!! That bass is gorgeous. Enjoy!!!

11. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Probably one of the nicest Maple fingerboard basses I've seen yet. Period. -Luke

12. nonsqtr,
    You like the slap sound, eh? How does it compare with some of the other basses you have or did own?

Keith really builds some nice instruments. He's on my list of "next time I order a bass."

13. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    YIKES!! :bassist: :hyper:

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Why are you selling your other Roscoe? Is the new one that much nicer? Does it perform dramtically different?

15. Yeah... I found two Roscoe's in the quiver is 3 times better than just one. :D

16. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "You like the slap sound, eh? How does it compare with some of the other basses you have or did own?"

Well, this new one is very "woody". It's probably the influence of the maple fingerboard. Similar attacky kind of sound to my BN5 (which also has a maple fingerboard). But the myrtle is heavier than the ash, it gives it a nice deep resonant quality on the low notes. It's very consistent, the string balance is perfect. It's a total slap machine, it sounds awesome. And it has a really fast neck, I'm totally in love with Keith's 5 string necks, they're perfectly shaped for my hand.

"Why are you selling your other Roscoe? Is the new one that much nicer? Does it perform dramtically different?"

Yes, the new one is that much nicer. I had Keith do a few custom tweaks to it. Take a careful look at the pickups, for instance. But the old one is nice too, it's just that this new one is a real sweet piece of work. That's a rare piece of myrtle, it's three dimensional. You can stare at it for hours and you'll keep discovering new things. Part of looks like birdseye, and another part of it looks just like a slab of marble. I wouldn't expect to find another piece of myrtle like that in a million years.

Someone else can better benefit from the old bass, it's a mint condition Roscoe that's been set up to perfection and plays like butter. That one's a production job, other than the custom tweaks that I had done to it (the new bridge and so on). But it's the best production bass I could find, I went all the way to Wisconsin to get it. Someone's going to be a very happy camper when they get that bass. I won't cry too much for losin' it though, this new one is workin' out pretty well so far, and I can do everything on the new one that I've done on the old one. Besides, I'll still have a fretless LG-3005, for when I get tired of thumpin' and slappin'. :)