1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"New Customers Only"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I see ads on a pretty regular basis for banks and other finance companies offering special deals (lower rates on loans or higher rates on savings) for new customers only. ISPs, cable providers and some cell phone companies do the same thing.

Personally, this puts me off dealing with them pretty much instantly. It seems as if they're basically saying " we want to grab new customers, but once we've got you, we think we won't need to worry about providing a service that will make you want to stay with us."

So, they won't get my business like this. What say you?

2. Bugs the heck out of me too, and seems like it would make for less dedicated customers.

A friend of mine jumps from cell phone company to cell phone company to cell phone company each year because the new one will give him a new phone when he signs up but the old ones won't give him squat for a contract extension.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    yeah, it sucks xD at least the cable company gave us the respective gifts when they started their promo

4. If you are out of a contract with a cell phone company, you can make them give you almost anything. Just do it on the call line, not in store. A friend of mine got a free iphone and a full data plan @ $50 a month. You just have to know what you are doing. Always threaten to go to someone else and ask to talk to someone higher up.

lowsound

5. Lowsound is right, it's definitely not just for new customers only. Even if there are no promotional offers happening you can call up some companies and get lots of cool stuff. Lots of people who bundle their homephone/internet/cable together do that up here in Canada because bell and videotron are fighting for the same customers.

Just a quick phone call saying yadda yadda yadda been a customer for a while thinking of switching is there anything you could do to get me to stay? Right away you'll get 2 months free.

A few months ago we switched over because bell offered a free dish, two receivers, free internet 3 months etc.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I agree with all of this - but this means also that keeping your custom is something that they only respond to when YOU do something (like haggling), rather than something they do for every existing customer as part of their everyday business practice. That's what bugs me.