Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New D`Addarios

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by maurilio, Jul 27, 2004.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if some of you has already played or tried the new D`Addario Prosteel strings :bassist:

Thanks

Mo`

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    looks like they jut renamed the Prism strings to it....at least im hoping so ( they just discontinued Prism's )

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    nobody, yet? :ninja:

Just wondering if somebody had news :D

Aloha

Mo'

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great strings... I think they are re packaged Prisms too. D'addario just sent me a new set as thanks for doing the G2 Beta test (search there was a Huge thread)

they are the strings we tested.

5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi James,

I tried a set of Prism once, but I didn't like very much. Too stiff and not enough mids for me...

Thank you

Mo'

6. Why would d'addario make a beta-test with a product that only changes it's name? There's got to be a difference somehow!? Has anybody tried both?

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I just bought three sets of 45-105 Prisms from John at Bass Emporium--he was blowing them out at $11 a set.

I'll definitely be in a position to do a comparison, but it's going to take a few months--I go through strings fairly slowly.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they were testing changes/improvements to the Prisms. I used the "beta" set and an off the shelf Prism set. Very similar to my hands and ears. As much as I love them (my new favorite Stainless Rounds). I use SIT PowerFlats (groundwound) on all my basses now.

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I also participated in the string test. I didn't like the strings the first gig, then they settled down and I LOVED them. never heard they were 'improved' prisms, or perhapss something different.

I also just got a new set of the Pro-steels in the mail, but I haven't installed them yet. Are they really just improved Prisms? thought the packaging said soemthing about them employing some sort of alloy. hmm.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think it might be a name change only.

For players like me who already have a prejudice against steel strings (because they sound too bright), I wouldn't touch a string called "Prisms."

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've heard from an endorser of Prisms that it is indeed a "formula" change - he placed as he termed it, "the Mother of all orders" before the stock ran out although he plans to try the new Pro-Steels ASAP.

True, but this works in both directions. I loved Prisms, and am wary of trying a new string after it took so long to find what I considered a large part of "my" sound (the chimy, high-end transients) even if it's reported to be "better".

12. I find it hard to believe too that d'addario went through more than a year long testing period involving laypeople and pro's just for a name change.

13. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi there guys,
    no news? no reviews? Here in LA it's still a problem to get them! :eyebrow:

Mo'

14. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm planning on trying them soon.

I've been experimenting w/ XL nickels on my backup bass and they're killing me... or should I say, I'm killing them. After a couple gigs they're dead. I also miss the coarser feel and top end definition of stainless....I really don't think that I'm a nickel guy.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've noticed they tend to be about 20% cheaper too. Is it a marketing gimmick by D'Addario, or are they cheaper to produce?

16. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi there,
    do you have some news? Have you tried them?
    I'm using DM SR2000 light on my Sadowsky and I like them. Tight lows with great definition and clear mids(growl), but I would like something sweeter on the highs... let us know, please :smug:
    Thank you

Mo'