Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New D.I. help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_rabbit, Jan 7, 2005.

1. White_rabbit

White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm looking for a D.I. box. I heard someone says it will increase my tone but I dont think I know for what is a D.I. for...

So I'm asking you, bass fans...

By the way, when buying a D.I. wich one did you think it's the best choise?

(sorry my bad english :oops: )

God bless

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    D.I = direct injection

It's just a box that is before your amp (or possibly included within the circut of your amp) that offers an XLR connection to a mixer. Some DI boxes like the Avalon U5 di/preamp and the Line 6 pod di/preamp offer tone shaping but just a straight up DI doesn't really, or shouldn't really add any tone. Bottom line you're friend's info on DI's is essentially incorrect.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

the idea is to balance the signal for sending it into the PA, if you send an unbalanced signal, a lot of noise can reach the table.

and also as dubdub sayd, some DIs act as pre amp to, like the sansamp bass driver or the pod. but if you are confortable with your sound, dont add a pre amp, just get a passive DI, youll only use it when playiong live, remember some soundmen (at least here in uruguay) dont have DIs so it would be prudent to have yours, i think thwey run from 30 to 50 dollars. if you gig professional, the sound man will always have a di for you