1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Darkglass Bass Heads (Microtubes V2 and Alpha Omega)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Jan 23, 2019.

1. My discussion with Darkglass about the DI being post-Master on the original 900, and the manual saying it's the same in V2:

Message: Hi, I love my Microtubes 900 amp - more clean headroom than I've ever had, and the smooth VMT overdrive is perfect for the blues band I'm playing in. There is one thing I'd like to change: the DI comes after the Master volume. Consequently, if I need to turn my stage level up or down during the set, this also changes the level going to the PA. I don't want to switch the DI signal to 'Pre' because the Microtubes and EQ sections are important to my sound. Every other amp I've owned had the DI send before the Master, so that my level changes on stage don't mess with the gain structure the FOH operator has set. Is it possible to mod the amp so that the Master comes after the DI output?

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 at 04:33, Support Darkglass <support@darkglass.com> wrote:
    Hello David:
    We are aware of the inconvenience of having the DI after the master volume. It has been changed since on current production amps, but there´s no mod available to change the order of DI out.
    thanks for contacting us..
    Daniel​

Hi,
    Re our previous conversation about the problem of having the DI after the Master volume, I was thinking of buying the new 900V2 to fix the issue, but then I read this:

“Post DI Output
    Use this connector to connect the Microtubes 900 preamplifier to balanced equipment (mic preamp, console, recorder, compressor, audio interface, etc.) via a standard XLR jack. Using this connection you have a signal processed by the preamp of the amp (gain, distortion, eq, master, etc.)”
    Microtubes 900v2

So, can you please confirm: is the DI output still after the Master volume?
    Thanks,
    David

Hi David
    That must be a section copied from the old M900 v1 by mistake! The DI output of the M900v2 is after fx loop and before master volume.
    Best regards
    Tommi Otsavaara
    Chief Technology Officer
    Darkglass Electronics
    Phone: +358 50 598 4245​

2. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Interesting, thats a fair enough reason! I can see how it'd appeal to people who perhaps don't use that many pedals and want to strip back their setup, I'm just a fan of big pedalboards so I guess it didn't occur to me as a thought!

I thought it'd have been interesting if they instead released the Microtubes 900v2 with maybe just the Comp, Graphic EQ and additional speakon + DI options (or something along those lines) and then maybe something like a 'Microtubes 900v2 Ultra' that had the Alpha Omega integrated alongside the existing drives plus all the nice snazzy features like USB and MIDI. Could have been cool to see!

dorej likes this.
  3. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I should say I am waiting for people in the continental United States to start selling theirs. Shipping from AUS would probably be prohibitive for me.

4. dorej

dorej Lowdown Dirtydog Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Ohio

I get the large pedalboard thing man! LOL! :) I'm a longtime guitarist & recently rededicated myself to bass pretty much exclusively (meaning I rarely pickup a guitar anymore) and I love a nice effects pedalboard. On bass I find myself just being a straight-ahead aggressive player with little room for effects. I'll try and stick some delay or pitch shifter in a bass line here or there, other than that I play almost exclusively with a lowdown dirty tone and try to bring the beef. That's why I think this AO900 will be the bees knees for a player like myself. Get down and get dirty!

Who knows, maybe Douglas will build an all-in-one Darkglass amp sometime down the road! That would be one expensive box, but it sure would be pretty cool to have all those meaty Darkglass tones under one hood.

Jackass76, donahue and bjelkeman like this.
  5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    If only there were some new Darkglass neo-loaded 112's to match...

Lammchop93, AdamR, Bassram and 2 others like this.
  6. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    So, after reading the manual, am I right in thinking that the compressor only works when the microtubes engine is engaged?

7. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The way I interpret the block diagram is that the compressor sits after the Microtubes engine & the clean signal, so it can compress the blended MT + clean or just the clean signal.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 11.45.54.

rsint likes this.
  8. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Ok, that's great.....so how do you engage it?

9. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    From the front panel with the Comp knob (the LED indicator will tell you when it’s compressing).

It can also be toggled with MIDI or a assigned an actustor in the Super Intelligent Footswitch.

bjelkeman, rsint and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  10. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Thanks for explaining that. This sounds very convenient.

11. MartLTB

MartLTB

May 17, 2014
    Germany
    Definitely interested, I'm planning to scale down on weight from my GK Fusion 550 and already been eyeing the current MT500/900 but I guess I'll wait until those are available to try out now. Was there a reason for putting the compressor after the preamp/drive stages? I haven't used comps a lot but I was under the impression they are usually put first in the chain.

donahue likes this.
  12. bobobinho

bobobinho

Jun 14, 2016
    These look fantastic. I'll probably wait for the Microtubes X7 900 though.

13. DiscoRiceJ

DiscoRiceJ

Oct 15, 2018
    I thought about this as well as the X,X7 is my favorite of theirs but having the VU as a second sound is really something. The VU is really underrated. Having both tones at your disposal would be optimal. The B3/7K sound is great but to me a lesser version of the X's. If the X900 came out I'd want a VU for a pedal.

14. akatash187

akatash187

Nov 23, 2016
    Does anyone knows if the headphone jack disables the Poweramp?

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas

Bassram, TolerancEJ and bjelkeman like this.
  16. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Exactly how I practice! In a huge empty factory warehouse with my 410 and headphones! LOL

DiscoRiceJ likes this.