Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dave Holland and Meshell N' Degeocella albums on Verve

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Jan 28, 2005.

1. I'm just updating iJazz with these but it's encouraging to see a major label backing bass-led projects - I'll add a link to both when they are on the site.

Better get to work :)

M

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    And what might these titles be?

I got email from Dave just last week about his new album on his own label released through Sunnyside...what's this about Verve?

Here's the mail:

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your interest. The release date is February 22nd. The new label is Dare2 Records and will be distributed in the US by Sunnyside and will be available in stores and on itunes.

All the best, Dave.

>Hi Dave,
    >
    >I've heard that the new big band CD coming out is on your own label
    >rather than ECM. What's the release date, will it be available in
    >stores or net only, etc.
    >

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have been hearing about the meshell one, but dave too - woo hoo!!!! sweet!!

thanks for the update!!

:)

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow, me'shell's won't be released until july...bummer :(

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh, I see the Holland disc is his Big Band. Cool.
    (Was wondering why it wasn't on ECM).

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Dave and ECM have parted company. All his future recordings as a leader will be on his own label, Dare2 Productions. Sunnyside Records are handling US distribution, with Universal Music Jazz France handling other markets.

DH set up his own label to have more independence and to retain ownership of the masters. Apparently ECM weren't prepared to offer distribution.

(Lifted from this month's Jazzwise magazine!)

PS. Have just acquired a 50min video of a Dave Holland SOLO performance. Very cool stuff. :bassist:

7. Hi Dude - this is a UK date - i.e. we write our dates with the day of the month first then the month, then year - so it's actually due out in March! Sorry to confuse oyu

M

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oh! hahahaah sorry i missed that!

:D :)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm still confoozed...who's "oyu"?
    Or is this like the inverse date thing/spelling of "you"?

Herbicide-
    Jazzwise has a nice site; imagine a 'real' Jazz magazine does exist out there.
    Next time I'm in Barnes & Noble, I will take a look to see if it's something they stock...this B&N does sell the UK Bass Guitar mag.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    UK, eh...that explains it.

Dave's CD will not be on Verve in the USA.

11. Firstly - I type really badly when I write fast!!!

Secondly Jazzwise (even though I am biased, and happily admit it) is a great magazine for jazz in all it's forms - not just your Ken Burns / Wynton thought police/neo conservative "Jazz stopped evolving after 1959" idiots - and they do subscriptions, which you can sign up for on the their website - I know you'd really like it - it's a great read.

Best

M

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Actually, the reason I enjoy Jazzwise so much is that it ISN'T the whole "Jazz stopped evolving after 1959" deal -- it recognizes ALL forms of jazz, right into fusion and afro-cuban latin jazz. I took down two magazines off the shelf, both jazz magazines. One was "Coda" or something like that, and it was exactly "that" kind of magazine. I dumped it back on the shelf and took home Jazzwise -- great mag. I'm definitely going to try and get a subscription to it. There are some great articles in the last one I got, especially by Bill Milkowski on satellite radio.