Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dave Holland & Avishai Cohen Att Jim K

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jerry, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked up a couple good new releases from the Dave Holland Big Band, and Chick Corea's bassist Avishai Cohen today. Both albums are very good! The big band sounds great, And I really dig Billy Kilson's drumming. Avishai dosen't get mentioned around here much, but he's a great player and composer on both electric and upright! Just a little heads up for you guys and especially Jim K :cool:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks, Jerry. Thanks a lot for puttin' me in the Haus de Poor.
    ;)

So Kilson is still drumming with the DH BB? I thought Nate Smith(from my neck of the woods) had taken over? Then again...when was this album recorded?

Is the Cohen disc all acoustic(ala Adama)?
    Or is it more like his later ones(couple of electric bass tunes)?
    ...how big a band, too? Or maybe I should head over to www.allmusic.com?
    ;)

BTW, the recent Andrew Hill Mosaic 3-disc box set is pretty happenin'(so far).

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim, I'm pretty sure the Holland recording is new, I usually buy all his stuff, and never saw this one. The band is a thirteen piece big band. The Avishai recording is mostly upright with a little electric, I like the way Avishai plays electric :bassist:

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    The album was just released today(I think). It may have been recorded a year or so ago with Kilson still bangin' away.
    ;)

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Smith was on the gig Saturday in Portland. I missed it (boo!), but several of my friends went. Here's one account from a blog: http://www.oregonlive.com/jazz/weblog/

I also missed Charlie Haden, John Patitucci, and Dave Friesen, among others who played the festival. :meh: