1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New DB750 - Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ptidwell, Apr 1, 2006.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Well I just went way over my budget and got the DB750.
    I originally went in to play through the iAMP-800. But Gary already had the DB750 hooked up to the GS412. I have GASSED for the DB750 for awhile and thought how nice it would be to hear my bass through it. Plugged in powerd up and hit the low B the thing had me at HELLO!
    Anyway I really liked the GS412 with the DB750 but as I stated I am already over my budget by a grand. So I opted to wait before deciding on another cab. Currently I am using a pair of Acme B2 series II 8ohm cabs as you guys know not the most efficient cabs on the market. I had been pushing them with a GK 2000RB bridged. Searching the threads I have found no one using such a configuration. Tombowlus did his 2x10 shootout using a line driver and a Crest CA9 here is his comment "Acme Low B-2II – Very deep and very full sounding. Also a very clear cab, but with less mids than some of the other cabs, and brighter highs than Cab A. I’d say that it is slightly mid scooped, though not perhaps compared to other cabs not in this shootout. This cab was louder than I expected, but it couldn’t take all that the CA9 could put out without showing signs of stress."
    I haven't had the opportunity to play through the Acme's yet probably at rehearsal on Tuesday (to busy to go pick them up)
    I am very fond of the GS412 however I am concerned about the weight. Has anyone gigged with a pair of B-2's or even tried them with the DB750?

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My small-room rig is one 8 ohm B2 with my 750. You can cause a small earthquake in the right room. Two B2s would be lethal.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    omg,

one of my FAV combo's was the DB750 i tried @ jivesound w/ my 4 ohm Acme B2!!! :hyper:

still, having a 8 ohm pair hitting 4 ohms? might be iffy, especially in a louder heavy rock context. IME, 350-400 watts per driver in an Acme cab is minimum for my sonic needs. its there that the punch, clarity and fatness really abound. so, add it up, IMHO 1200 watts for 4 acme drivers should be your goal, which unfortunately, the aguilar doesnt have.

questions remain, how loud does your group play? are you goosing the 2001RB to its limits thru the Acme cabs? etc.

4. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    jokerjkny,
    I don't think we play extreamly loud keyboards (two) are in the house drums are miced, venue seats about 1100 the guitar player and I use our own amplification. My volumes are about mid level. I am nowhere near goosing the 2000RB to its limits it's 1000 watts brigded into 4 Ohms (two 8 Ohm cabs)
    So do I need to be thinking about some more efficient cabs?

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

if volume isnt an issue, i'm sure the aguilar will sound good thru the acmes.

after rehearsal, let us know how it went.

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    You've got a PM ptidwell!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Unfortunately, I no longer have my Acme cabs to try with my DB 750, but FWIW, my favorite cab so far with the 750 has been the Berg NV215. Man, those two sound so good together! The only combination that I like better so far is the 750 with my two Azola/EA "Super Wizzy's!" :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Tom.

8. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Tom,
    I don't know if you gigged the NV215/Db750 yet but if so did you find you needed any extra EQ at times ?

9. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    the 2x15 ist now out of production. the shop i work at is getting the last one in production this next week.and its already on hold for someone. i do recomend the ht 322 or the nv610

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sorry, but with all the other gear I have been testing, I have not gigged with that combo yet. But, to my ears, it sounds pretty darn good set flat (in a solo setting).

Tom.

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I really dig the sound of the DB750 into a Whappo Jr.

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Sounds like a fabulous rig. I know Oddio has used a DB750 with various numbers of B2s. I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount of power that the amp is giving each cab - I think what matters more than RMS power is peak power, particularly at low frequencies and, judging by all the comments I read on how loud the DB750 is, it much have absolutely oodles of peak LF power.

Make sure you stack the Acmes vertically for maximum tone - you get more clarity and accuracy this way, plus better dispersion and audibility across the stage/venue.

If you don't crank up your lows (which you shouldn't need to with such deep cabs and a fat amp) then the DB750 should push the Acmes to the point of really upsetting any vocalists and completely burying even the heaviest drummer's kick.

We hear a lot about how inefficient the Acmes cabs are - they're not as inefficient as the specs suggest, it's simply that most bass cabs have midrange humps which cut through and get you heard with less power. Turn up the mid control on the DB750 and those cabs will roar through the mix without even sweating.

Alex

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    he calls it "testing"... i call it "elysian fields", but who's counting? :p

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

course, when i was in bass heaven trying out the 750+B2, i didnt touch a thing on the amp. just let my sadowsky do the talking, and the tone was just perfect... perfect...

and yea, where's Oddio? oh...

he must be actually playing them... ;)

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    tommixx will probably be chiming in regarding the Aguilar DB750 & Bergantino NV610 combination.

...Or you could do a search &/or PM him.

I'd love to hear a DB750 with a pair of Mesa-Boogie older Deisel 4x10 cabs (or a pair of Sadowsky 4x10 or a pair of Schroeder 410L).

:eek: :bassist: :eek:

:D

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I can almost accommodate you (with one Diesel 4x10 and two SA410's). :D

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    You are (NO DOUBT) the way coolest, really 'sick' person I know!

And thank God for you...

:)

[Well, what are you waiting for; try 'em out and let us know.........
    .........just kidding -- I know you're a very busy guy.]

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas

20. Well, as usual I'm late into this thread, but I do have plenty of experience gigging with two 4ohm Low B-2 cabs and the DB750. This combination does sound *VERY* good and believe it or not is capable of plenty of volume. Lots of meat there without getting too fat or sloppy and the DB750 keeps things tight overall.

Don't get too carried away (as I did) because the DB750 does have enough power to crease the cones (there's no sub filter as found on a lot of power amps). If you play the amp relatively flat this shouldn't be an issue.