Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New DBer

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sargebaker, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    HI guys. For the past monthish I have been contemplating buying a Carvin 4 string fretless. While bass shopping the other day, a clerk notified me that he will be getting a DB in soon. I have played DB before and really enjoyed it, I found it funner than BG. The only problem is I am Canadian and am only 16 and DB's are especially expensive for me. The one he will be recieving however was about 1600 (included gigbag, bow, and pickup) I donot remember the name. It was on order and should arrive at the store soon. It is a 3/4 scale as oppsed to a full. I was wondering what the big difference between the 2 were and which is better for beginners, anything you guys may suggest? etc. Do you think this is a wise investment?

EDIT: I think it is made in China but it at least has an ebony fingerboard. it is made out of plywood.

Thanks.

BAker

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hi, Sarge. At the top of each thread you'll find The Newbie Links. Chris Fitzgerald has spent countless hours putting these together. If you review them -- particularly the one in "basses" -- you'll find the answers to most of your questions. If not, ask away!

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Yes I know, I sorta read them after I posted this, cause I'm so smart n' all. Sorry :ninja: . Anyways now I have another question. For a beginner DBer (4 years BG) would it be a better idea to buy a cheap CHinese DB or rent a decent-good one? (maybe rent to buy if the store offers it). I will have to call the store when they open tomorrow to verify renting prices.

Thanks.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    This is covered pretty completely in the Newbie Links as well -- but renting is likely your better start.

All together now, TB'ers:

Get a teacher.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    :rolleyes: NO YOU GET A TEACHER! :spit: I have a teacher... He doesn't think I should buy a DB though. He thinks I should stick with the fretless Carvin, which I might do, but DB is SO much more coolerer!

6. Bargemaker , what my esteemed colleague was advising, was that if you do decide to purchase or rent a DB, you will need to study with a teacher who plays and teaches the instrument. It is an altogether different beast than electric, fretless electric, and even electric upright. You will need to get a teacher to show you the proper technique and steer you away from any bad habits you might otherwise develop. These can be 1) hard to break and 2) injurious.

I say go for the DB, especially since you think it is funner and coolerer. Why doesn't your current teacher want you to?

7. Maybe his current teacher doesn't want to lose a student (paycheck) to the dark side...

Play BG, DB & tuba and you can get into almost any college with a good music program...

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Get thee a NEW teacher!!!! :D

If you really wanna play a DB, then play the darn DB. Get a new teacher who will inspire you to play one... don't settle for less when the teacher is telling you what you should be playing.

If you ask me, you're on the road to future disappointment that you didn't try the DB and will resent your teacher for it! Well, actually I did that, but it was on piano. I made the mistake of thinking that my teachers knew what they were doing when I told them I wanted to learn how to improvise and all they knew was how to teach classical piano. Instead I just went along and listened to them and only now (after 10 years) am I starting to be able to improvise, on DB instead.

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Well he didnt actually tell me not to get one. He said if he were me he'd go with the fretless carvin. I wouldn't leave him though, he's a super duper teacher and he's literally like the craziest guitarist I've ever seen ( yah he's not actually a bassist) but some of the things he does just leave my jaw dropped. ANyhoo! I found another DB, this one is around 2000(CAN). Its a Bohemian or something, (made in Chezck), its real wood (not plywood) and it has an ebony fingerboard (I cant believe thye actually make some without), the guy said it came with the Gigbag and he thinks the bow too. I'll have to go see it Thursday or Friday and check it out. (they can put a pickup in it too). I'll let ya'll know what comes of it.

I'm gonna go see if I can find anything on the bass on the net.

Thanks

BAker

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wait, wait, gonna make popcorn....

11. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    :rollno: I dont get it.... :eyebrow:

12. Maestro

Maestro banned

May 16, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    This is your teacher?

Does he teach you for free or something like that?

Do yourself a favor and get a real teacher, you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

Maestro
    Software Orchestration

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    What do you mean? No he doesn't teach for free (my parents pay) but why are you all bashing him cause his main instrument is guitar? He's probably THE most talented musician I've ever seen (I mean like seen, i know there's more talented) He is literally amazing!! We've been doing alot of theory mostly lately so it doesnt really matter what he plays. And when we decide to learn some planet X or just take it easy and play some songs, he can jam along. And I did ask for his opinion.

I said: Should I get the fretless I was telling you about or an Upright

HIM: The fretless (and gave some valid reasons.)

Anyways he's a damn good teacher, he's been playing like 35 years, you don't know him, you're not his student and I'd like to see you try to trade licks with him. Until then I'd appreciate you all lay off my teacher.

Back on topic I think i found the bass on the net. Its the blugrass/Jazz one or somehting, 3/4, Laminate (dunno whats the diff between laminate and not, I'm going to look it up)

Peace

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    CAKEBAKER, we're not knocking your teacher's skills nor his ability to teach. But we see an inherent problem with your choice of a teacher. He is a guitarist... you not only want to become a bassist, but a DOUBLE BASSIST. Last I checked, a guitar is MUCH different than a DB, not to mention an EB. There are still some similarities between EB and guitar, but a DB is a completely different animal and requires almost an completely different technique.

Apples and oranges.

Marcus: Pass the popcorn please. :D

15. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Yah I know, If i feel he is not able to teach then I'll find a new teacher. But I spent a week in Cuba playing DB for about 6-7 hours a day(what got me interested), so my fingering is not that bad, its my fretting hand and strength I would need the most work on. (oh and learn how to use a bow but yah...)
    Myabe I can work the whole self-teaching thing too....

And whats the deal with the name slurring? Sgt. Baker is my name, and Im gonna teach you how to play the game of warfare... and if you call me Billy JAne I'll stomp you down son... *Yes sir, Yes sir!* Oh Primus, I love you Les Claypool...

Oh and i stil don't get the beer and popcorn jokes but while ya'all are at it:

*Cracks open a fresh warm can of Pork Soda* *Hops on the Hamburger Train* *dances around the house like Nature boy*
    (Oh me so full of Primus puns)
    Yah thats right, I'm full of the clever remarks! 2 can play at that game... wanna rough house? we'll rough house! STELLLLA!!! It's past my bed time, my mommy is calling me...

Peace

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    C'mon Ed, help us out here.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, here's the deal. It's not a name slur, it's a good natured play on the sreen name of the poster, and everyone is fair game. It was initiated by the aforementioned Ed, who I think first called me MARKYMARKUS; at some point I was also SPARTACUS and ARCUS NONSENSE, and probably some others. It means nothing.

And Ed would say this much better, or at least more bluntly. If you get something from taking DB lessons from a guitar player, do it. You won't learn anything about the mechanics of DB playing, but maybe you get something else I don't know about. However, if you play DB incorrectly, or with bad technique, you'll most likely end up with a lot of bad habits to undo. This I know firsthand. Worse, you stand a good chance of doing physical damage to yourself; this I also know.

You came here asking about DB, and you apparently found a teacher who's steering you away from DB. In my opinion, which you can take or leave, this guy is not the answer for you IF YOU WANT TO STUDY DOUBLE BASS. It's like getting surgery from a guy who studied at an butcher shop. They both know how to use a knife, so let 'er rip....

Is there a working double bassist near you? If so, at least check in with him or her, and say what you've said here. Be patient, DB is a complex instrument, with a lifelong learning curve. I've been doing it for 34 years, and I'm just getting started. The rewards can be great; this I know, firsthand.

Finally; we're not bustin' yer balls. Just trying to save you some grief.

Oh yeah, the virtual popcorn gets made whenever some spirited conversation is anticipated...y'know, like at the movies.

18. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR

Is this the bass?

http://www.uptonbass.com/product_show.asp?item=982

If so the bass has a good reputation. I have one being shipped to me as we speak. Are you going to Mystic, CT to check it out? If so Gary Upton is great to deal with, he is straight up.

A laminated bass is plywood, very good plywood but plywood all the same. Much more durable and requires less care than a carved bass. Very good for pizz (finger playing) but not as good for arco (bow). Alot of the Jazz guys use laminated basses, most use them for road work.

az

19. What were those reasons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.