1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Dean Exotica or Used Washburn AB20

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WCunha, Nov 19, 2015.

1. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Hello everyone!

I am looking at getting an acoustic fretless and I was looking on eBay and I have found I can buy a new Dean Exotica from anywhere between $320 to $400 shipped. I also found on eBay a Washburn AB20 for $400 to my door but I don't know enough about either to make a decision. So I am just looking for some opinions since I can not go try either one of them out for myself.

Thanks, Wade

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, my Dean Exotica sounds better than either one of these.
    10z4awy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    That's a pretty bold statement :)

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    True, nonetheless...with good reason.
    By the way, the Squier is every bit as good as the Fender, but neither one has what the Exotica has...Aphex Big Bottom Circuitry with Aural Exciter.
    What I really like is the phase switch...and the D'Addario tapewounds I had on my old one.
    The pic in my avatar is my new one.

5. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    That is a nice looking bass. How is the build quality and how well does it play?

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have it on layaway, but my old one was very nice...great neck, fretwork, beautiful bass with electronics second to none. I wouldn't even consider an acoustic bass with a Fishman preamp. 2wd54sk.jpg
    I later added a Planet Waves rubber soundhole plug...you can't get closer to an upright sound with the tapewounds, the switch set out of phase, and the soundhole plug.
    By the way, the newer models have a traditional bridge and a top strap button.

7. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Why do you use the sound hole plug?

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Feedback is an issue with hollow bodies, but the sound hole plug also improved my plugged-in tone...I noticed the difference immediately.
    It's black rubber, so it looks okay, too. 6fxmk3.jpg

WCunha likes this.
  9. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Anyone have opinions on the Washburn AB20?

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    All acoustics need to be evaluated in person because some problems cannot be easily fixed. Also even 2 of the same model can sound different as night and day.

But *IF* all things were equal I'd go with the Washburn hands down. No contest.

11. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Thanks for the input I appreciate it. The problem is there isn't any for me to try in person so I guess I'm going to have to roll the dice.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  12. WCunha

WCunha

Nov 15, 2004
    Well I decided to go with the used Washburn and I will have it tomorrow because the seller is going to deliver it to me. The other reason was I know it is a 15 year old bass but I know someone has played it and it shouldn't have any issues. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks for the opinions I do appreciate it.
    Wade

Nev375 likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021