Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dean Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Here's the pictures of my new toy:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Got to play it for a couple of hours tonight...it's going to be great for the gypsy jazz thing I'm doing! :p

Jay

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    nice, dude
    bootyful bass

3. It's very light - guessing about 7 1/2 to 8 pounds...nothing special or expensive - basswood body - simple hardware.

I've strung it with D'addario half-rounds...much better sound than the stock strings.

It's a rosewood fingerboard...but very dark. I oiled that up really well earlier today.

Anybody have some advice as to what action is best for a fretless? This one has a medium height to it right now...wouldn't mind it a bit lower, but I want to let the neck settle first.

Jay

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Dean's are nice instruments...and it looks like a sweet bass you've got there. Enjoy it!

5. How's yer mwah? What effect do you think the oil has on tone, & what oil did you use?

6. How's my mwah...?

There, nice...but not great. Probably because I didn't know what I was doing oiling it like a fretted. :scowl:

I used a standard (meguiars) lemon fingerboard oil.

What should I use? Although I played double bass eons ago, this is my first electric fretless.

Thanks,
    Jay

7. You may get a lot of differing opinions on what to use, & whether to use any at all. I've used Waco danish oil on a purpleheart fretless fingerboard, w/good results(harder & more scratch-resistant). I was told(after the fact)not to do that.
    The lemon oil- does it dry/harden/leave a residue? I seem to recall being advised to use lemon oil- can't recall if it was for fretted or not.

8. Seems to be hardening and drying a bit...no residue to speak of. Played it tonight and the mwah is really starting to assert itself.

Yay for me... ;)

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

Jay

9. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Mmm, tasty. Congrats.

10. odyssey229

odyssey229

Feb 26, 2005
    That thing is awsome! were did you get it ive been saving up for a fretless

11. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wow that looks really great. congrats

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool!

I got one too!

They have great tone, they are light and mwah up the ***.

Good job!

:)

Joe.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pretty. Reminds me of my old fiver in my avatar.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The price was very right--incredibly right--on this Edge with Barts.

15. To answer the question above - I got it for 350 even.

I got the deluxe case for another 75. Wish I had taken pictures of the case. It's easily the best I have - better than Fender/G&L/etc. Classy, solid, with great hardware - and the inside is roomy and secure.

For adjustment on another deal (mistakes made), I had a 50 dollar credit. So the guitar and the case were mine for 375 total (no tax and free shipping).

Pretty smooth in my book. :cool:

Jay