Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dec 2004 Releases...Just In Time For Xmas

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Dec 10, 2004.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I stumble into www.audiophileimports.com looking for the re-issue of Alphonso Johnson's Spellbound...& find a bunch of other stuff-

ARU w/ Herring & Oteil- Live At The Jacksonville Jazz Fest (DVD)

Jaco with Herbie Hancock Live (CD)
    Jaco Big Band- Live At Budokan (CD)
    Weather Report w/ Jaco- Young & Fine (DVD)

Elektric Band(trio) DVD from the '80s.
    The Electric Miles DVD from Isle Of Wight is also there.
    Coming soon are the new Screaming Headless Torsos CD + DVD(or hit www.torsos.com)

Ouch.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!

i can honestly say, i really, really want all of those - all of them!!!

thanks, man - i need to check that website more often!

:)

bumpers

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the info Jim!

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I am seriously under-whelmed by the ARU DVD. Post your review after you watch it.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    are you trying to say it kinda sucks? please let me know before i order it :(

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll post a review after I see it.
    PBS used to run the Jax Jazz Fest; I have a killer VHS tape of an early Flecktones, Elektric Band, & Arturo Sandoval show in Jacksonville.
    I was banking on the ARU show to be in the same league as that tape. I guess we'll have to wait & see.

On a related note, drummer Jeff Sipe of ARU has just released his first 'solo' disc. Milkowski's review sounds "OK".
    www.abstractlogix.com

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! i thought i was the only one with that! chick corea electric band is on that one as well, i think...

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, the Elektric Band...one of the tunes was "Charged Particles". They rocked!

Wooten did his thing on "Sinsiter Minister".
    (Probably the first time 'the masses' witnessed his playing; the VH-1 video of "Sinister Minister" didn't really showcase him as much as this Jax Jazz show).

Arturo, though, (IMO) blew the roof off that place.

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    The video quality is very poor in my opinion. the audio is mediocre. The performances are fine. If you have to collect everything ARU has ever done, then it's a must--If you are looking for a good quality dvd concert--this isn't it.

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    ...but you didn't end up buying the Chick Corea Rendezvous in New York 9 DVD set??? :p It's only $350. :eek:
    I keep talking my boyfriend out of buying it. Silly me. :) Some of this has been on BET Jazz, but has anyone here seen the whole thing?

Edit: It's a region 2 dvd, I think--is it likely that my sony dvd player could even play it?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No...I passed. In fact, I even passed on the Elektirc Band trio DVD(so far).
    ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did just order that one from Audiophile - despite the $55 price tag - I was thinking - well, 2$ to the pound!! :)

I couldn't resist seeing Jaco in that band and the mention of a 10-minute Jaco solo-slot on the website finally convinced me!!

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's up to $2/lb now?!
    Guess Amazon's UK site won't be seeing my bidness for awhile.
    ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

They said on the News last night it was 1.9 something - there was a News item recently showing all the people going to the US for Xmas shopping and getting a lot for their money...and one poor US student at Oxford, who was finding everything hideously expensive!! ;)

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    man, you guys have to get in on the trading scene. ive had that wr video, the herbie/jaco cd and the chick corea video (what theyre selling is only half of it) for years. cost me the price of media. 55 is way too much for that wr dvd.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I sort of agree with the your later comments about the video quality(IMO, it's "bad" but "not very poor"...if that makes sense); it's better than The Concert For Bangla Desh & Hendrix At Berkeley. ;)
    The audio, from what I've checked out so far, is not all that bad. Granted, it's not up to par when compared to some of the more slickly produced DVDs out there(any of the DMB DVDs, etc).

The playing on the ARU DVD is where it's at. Pretty intensive jamming.

Similar in audio qaulity is the Miles Electic: A Different Kind Of Blue. This is a very entertaining DVD, IMO. It contains much background info & up-to-date comments from both critics & musicians. (Miles & band's actual performance at the Isle of Wight Fest only lasted 38 minutes)
    Jazz critic Stanley Crouch...ya just gotta love him, right? This guy was once considered an Avant Garde Jazz drummer? Hard to believe.
    One of my favourite comments came from Carlos Santana...he was talking about Betty(Mabry) Davis' Rock/Funk influence on her then-husband, Miles. Santana called Betty Davis "the 1st Madonna"...while "the Madonna of today is more like Donny Osmond".
    Zing.

Speaking of Santana, a nice book to check out is Voices Of Latin Rock: The People & Events That Created This Sound by Jim McCarthy.
    A lotta info about the early Santana band.
    I like Michael Carabello's comment about Gregg Rolie's B-3 sound-
    "Gregg had that big sound, not like The Doors, with their stupid, s****y little organ sound".
    ;)

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i bought the ARU dvd, i liked it - the quality sucks, but i am a collector

what i just loved was the Vida Blue DVD, groove central!!!

:)

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I love this show so much that I've bought it three times in the past three years, each time getting a little better quality, but still not good enough quality to be satisfied.
    So I bought the DVD at audiophileimports, and I'm now happy with it.
    I like Jaco's performance on this show so much that I just had to shell out the bucks for the 4th time.
    I'm glad I did, it was worth it to me.

19. Bruce Lindfield

I got my copy just after Xmas and I was wondering what others think of it - first time I've seen a video of WR - I'm really glad I got it and it's great to see Jaco in his prime and so happy in his playing - a big contrast to the instructional video! :)

At first it would only play in B&W but after fiddling with my DVD player it is all OK and the sound is not bad - you can hear the bass really clearly!! :)

I love Jaco's playing and it must have been awesome as bass player to see him at this time - but Shorter and Zawinul do seem to have some tuning problems and maybe in a way it's good to see they're not infallible...;)

So - like on River People - Jaco's bass line sounds great and it's great to see him playing it - but Wayn'es soprano sounds very dodgy and he keeps flicking his hand like he's got some real problems....:confused:

But definitely a must-see and with the exchange rates, I only paid a little over £20 - which is not much more than most other DVDs in the shops...

But I wondered what others thought of it....?