Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Delay Pedals: Headrush, Maxon AD-999, DLS EchoTAP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tim99, Jun 17, 2004.

1. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Sooooo...I have been looking again for a high-end delay pedal, and have noticed some updated units from when I searched the internet and here last year. I know that there are some Headrush and some Maxon users here, so I thought you guys would be interested in the new Akai Headrush E2 (replaces the discontinued E1) and the new Maxon vintage series AD-999 delay pedal (replaces the discontinued AD-900), and I also have noticed that the DLS EchoTAP is new (replaces the discotinued Digital Delay). I do not know why this is still difficult for me...but I just have not decided which one I want. I like that they all have good reviews. I do not like that they all require external power cables. The Maxon and the DLS are true bypass, the Headrush is not. Anyway, here are some links to these pedals:

New Headrush E2:

http://www.akaipro.com/int/effects/e2.html

Maxon AD-999: (now is true bypass, 900 ms instead of 600 ms, and 9 volt instead of 12 v power for pedal boards)

http://www.godlyke.com/product.asp?item=155

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/MaxonAD999.html

DLS EchoTAP:

http://www.dlseffects.com/echotap.php

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/EchoTAP.html

Visual Sound has a "new version" of their H2O, Carl Martin has a new Delaya XL out...

I am also looking at the H&K Replex but it is the same as always...

Right now I leaning toward the Maxon...

Tim99.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If I had the dough I'd get the Maxon for sure. If that Akai isn't true bypass you might as well avoid it.
    :bassist:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have a true bypass pedal, so I don't care if the Akai is or not. I'l lbe buying one unless the reviews are horrible.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Yeah, I think as a delay pedal the Headrush is somewhere in the middle along with the DanEcho, but as a looper, it is impossible to beat at the price...I think an update to the old design will sell well...

I am willing to pay a little more for a little better delay, and do not need the looping...

Tim99.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    interesting, I thought Akai were out of the pedals business altogether. I'll have to check it out :)

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The new Akai looks very interesting.

I was almost considering a Boss DD-20, but if the Akai E2 is going to appear in the US that may change my mind.

[​IMG]

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto.

8. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Why the Akai over the DD-20 just out of interest?

Been torn over the DD-20 and AD-999 for a while, but having never owned a delay unit before, I've never been sure whether the analogueness of one would be better than all the features of the digital one.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Akai typically has ture bypass and I like their interface. My Deep Impact is my favorite pedal.

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    If you want a delay pedal, yes, the analogueness of the AD-999 is better than the features of the DD-20 or the Headrush. No doubt about it.

If you want to stand on stage, and play a bass line into a pedal, then have that pedal repeat that line back as you play another line over that first line, which is really impressive and pretty advanced, then you would be looking at the DD-20, the Headrush, or the Boomerang.

My problem is that the Maxon vintage series requires a power line, and the Maxon 9 series does not. The Maxon vintage series chorus is not true bypass and the 9 series is.

Tim99.

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Oops! Is the Headrush True Bypass? I will edit my original post if it is...

12. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Another vote for the Maxon. Very beautiful sounding delay.

13. ddayseb

ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I am an employee of a company that in turn is cointracted by Akai. I'm hoping to get my paws on one to try out very soon (week or two if I'm lucky?), and I'll be happy to comment and answer questions. I promise to be impartial, as I love the Maxon pedals to death. Maybe email me or PM me so I don't spam up the board.

14. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I think it would be ok for you to start a new thread talking about the New Headrush versus the Old Headrush. If you are the first one to try one, you may be the best person to start that. There are going to be more people looking at the New Headrush versus the the Boss DD-20 and the Boomerang than the Maxon though. There be loopers and there be delayers.

Tim99.

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I own one of the Visual Sound H2O units and quite like it. Very smooth and didn't suck all the bass out. Technically, the H2O is a chorus unit and echo in one pedal. Each has its own settings and toggle switch.

Full disclosure: I recently became a Visual Sound Ambassador. (nice term for area sales rep.) I'm in the Puget Sound region if anyone is interested, we can meet somewhere and you can try the pedal yourself. I have one of each of their pedals and you're welcome to try them all. The Route 66 is a good compressor & distortion pedal even if it isn't marketed as a bass pedal.

Further disclosure for the moderators: I work with music stores, not individuals. If someone were to contact me with the intent to purchase from me, I'd have to send you to your local music store or straight to Visual Sound.

16. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Has anyone here got any soundclips of the Maxon AD999 (or any Maxon delay really) using a bass?

I can only find clips of guitar going through it.. Quite tempted by it so far, but have no chance of finding one to buy in my country, let alone try out..