1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Deltalite II 2512 Buzzing! Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Vee, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm waiting to hear back from Bernie at BLT Sound, but in the meantime, thought I'd ask about this on TB to see if anyone has encountered this.

Yesterday, I installed an Eminence Deltalite II 2512 12" driver in a cabinet to replace a Delta 12 LFA.

I handled the driver with great care, connected the wires properly, then tightened in all screws carefully. So far, so good.

When I connected things up and starting playing, I am hearing a buzzing. The notes are coming through the Deltalite fine, though. The buzzing was in the background, but persisted until the notes had nearly died out. Same thing happened with different basses and heads.

I'm pretty sure it isn't because the speaker needs breaking in, because I bought a CH-2010 10" a while back, and it sounded good out of the box- no buzz.

Has anybody encountered this? Could this be shipping damage? Thoughts?

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Well I bought the same 12" from BLT and I'm building the cab it's going in now. I hope I don't have the same problem .

Are you sure the buzz is from the speaker? and not from any part of the cab...vent,speaker mount contact point ?

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Is the wire hitting the back of the speaker inside the cab? This happened to me once.

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I had exactly the same problem you describe with one of the speakers in my new Avatar B210 Neo cab. I could eliminate the problem by pushing down on (or peeling back) the foam gasket around the outside of the speaker. This may not work for you if you can't localize the sound to a specific area like I could, or if your problem is completely different.

For the record, Avatar cross-shipped me a replacement speaker right away and the cab is great now.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Visually inspect the cap on the cone to see if it's glued down 100% all the way around.

6. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    over-torquing the screws holding the speaker down can warp the
    speaker, causing noises

7. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Guys, excellent responses and things to double-check. I'll do so in an hour or so and report back here.

AFAIK, the speaker mounting screws aren't overtightened. I ran them in with an electric screwdriver set to the least torque, and then gave them a hand tighten to finish. There is a screw for every mounting hole, none are omitted or missing.

It should not be the wires inside either, as I played the cab yesterday tilted back on an Ampwedge, so the wires would be away from the speaker cone due to gravity. Also, I tightened the screw terminals down on the wire ends securely.

Chef, I'll check the dust cap for a gluing prob, and also will check the front grille to make sure it's not loose somehow. It shouldn't be- I made sure all the screws were snugged in.

8. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Just did a little more playing, and noticed the buzzing occurs on ALL notes, low to high, but is more pronounced in the lower registers. I'm not playing loudly.

If I can get rid of the buzz, I will be very happy. This speaker sounds fabulous otherwise! It's a lot more forward sounding than the Delta LFA. The efficiency rating, FWIW, is a little higher, but it's mainly the voicing of the driver I'm hearing.

There was no buzz with the Delta LFA, so the buzz is related not to the cabinet, but to the new driver.

It's definitely not an air leak around the speaker, because these Deltalites have a very good gasket on both sides of the mounting circle.

Time to remove the grille and work my way back through the installation steps. I'll check the dust cap right away.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Michael, check the two wire terminal leads to see if they are so long they can vibrate against the backside of the cone. If so you can reposition them and take up some slack with tape around the terminal block area.

10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    The wire may be stiff enough to touch the cone even if tilted back. If you installed it with the terminals on the top they may be coming at an angle and hitting the cone even when tilted.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'm talking about the wires that run into the voice coil.

12. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've now checked all the above.

I removed the grille.. still buzzing.

I removed the speaker and looked for anything out of whack at all. Nothing obvious there, either.

The speaker leads are not vibrating against the cone, with the cab in either upright or tilted back positions. The screw posts are at the bottom, not the top, so they should be hanging down inside the cab.

Chef, back to your dust cap glue theory.. I examined the entire circumference of the dust cap with a flashlight, looking very closely at the glue line. It does appear to be non-existent or very thin in places. At minimum, it's not a consistent glue job all around, and these are done by hand in the factory. So it very well could be that there's an air leak around the dust cap.

This makes sense, because the Deltalite sounds great otherwise. The motor assembly and cone itself are definitely good.

If the glue line is weak in places or broken, do I need to get a replacement driver, or can this be fixed by adding more glue? Knowing warranties and the like, and the perils of DIY repairs like this, it sounds like a replacement is in order.

I have not heard from Bernie yet, hopefully will sometime today. He's a busy man.. :)

Edit: I've attached a picture. It's hard to take a good quality closeup picture. If you look closely between the arrows I drew on the JPG, you can see there is little or no glue in that area, which is about 1.5 inches long. In the rest of the glue line, there is a very solid band of about 1/16" of glue.

13. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I had a similiar problem w/ an Avatar b212 neo. After hours of probing, I found out it was the latches vibrating on my rack case. When I set the rack on the floor , the buzzing went away, when it was ontop of the cab, it buzzed (or light rattle). Some big black rubber bands , from front latch to back latch keeps them from buzzing now. Dunno, but might be your problem.

14. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's not it.

I'm not playing very loudly. The cabinet is placed on a carpeted floor by itself, with nothing on top of it. I also played into the cab with my Neo-Pak head, also not on top the cab in question. Same thing. I've ruled out sympathetic vibrations.

As previously noted, the cab sounded great with the Delta LFA speaker installed, so it's not anything vibrating in the cabinet either.

The buzzing is definitely coming from the speaker.. verifying that caused a bit of buzzing in my ear itself :( .

15. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have just heard back from Bernie T., who said "It sounds like the speaker is defective and you are describing the voice coil rubbing. Do a test; if you push gently on the cone with your fingers to make it go inward a little bit, do you feel a slight scraping? Is so, it is voice coil rub and I will get an RA number from Eminence on Tuesday after the holiday and make arrangements for a replacement."

Bernie's a good guy and stands behind his stuff; I've not been a bit worried about this problem since discovered.

Naturally, the voice coil test did not produce any rubbing. I've emailed him back for his opinion of the glue line defect. I have a feeling this Deltalite is heading back.

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    When this happened to a 3015 deltalite I got from BLT, they told me to just touch up the rig of glue around the cap with elmers white glue.
    Use very little.
    Worked for me.
    Check with them first, but they said it would not mess with warranty if it failed to improve things.
    Check cab handles, crossover mounts...everything.
    I had one schroeder that did this, the side mount baffle board turned out to be just a tad wobbly, and Jorg replaced the whole box for me...but you're not using one of those, right?

17. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Chef! Thanks for weighing back in on this.

No, not a Schroeder. And it sounded fine with the original Delta LFA- no construction issues or any other probs that could cause buzzing.

Bernie is doing his usual very thorough followup on this. I've already heard back from him again! He agrees with you that it is probably the dust cone glue line. He is sending me a replacement 2512 today, along with a prepaid UPS shipping label for the return.

He indicated he wanted to take a close look at the driver and then report it to Eminence as a possible QC issue. It's possible that he's had other glue line returns recently, although he did not say this.

So, I'm going to return the driver and not attempt an Elmer's repair, although, I'm sure that would work fine.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    10/4
    BLT's service level is high.

I've been beating on that 3015 for three weeks or so now, it seems fine.

19. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Green- just saw this post, I had missed it earlier. I am trying that fix now.

I've pulled the speaker out, and the lugs the leads used to fasten onto the binding post block are too long, which puts the leads very close to the cone. I played a little bit with the speaker out of the box, and the cone was pushing back very close to the leads.

I will see if I can somehow take up some of the slack without damaging anything and see if that helps.

20. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Be careful doing that. The air pressure/cusion created while the speaker is mounted in the cab plays a roll in the cone excursion,without it (at certain volume and notes) it can travel too much and create a new problem all together.;)