Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Dem 201S, QSC PLX1602, and Bergie HT322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, May 23, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Finally got a new rig.

I am amazed by the variety of wonderful sounds coming out of this thing.

Haven't gigged it yet, but will report in full when I do.

I compared the HT322 with the HT310 and with the HT112+EX112 short stack. I thought the 310 had a slightly punchier mid-bass and a tad tighter, cleaner sound. I wasn't crazy about the 2x112 midrange with my StingRay 5. The 322 is close enough to the right kind of punchy tightness in the lower mid-bass and just seems to have much more testicular fortitude in the bottom octave (31-62HZ).

I finally got to hear a Bag End D10BX-D and it is a very nice 2x10. The dealer had just sold their last HT210, so I didn't get to compare it to that.

I compared the Dem 201S with an Alembic F-1X and an Aguilar DB659. What a tough choice. The salesperson helping me had my bass plugged into the passive input on the Dem which I didn't realize until I got it home, sounds very different from the active input (at least with my bass). At the store, with the way everything was hooked up, I probably would have gotten the Agie pre, but it would have put me over-budget. It was a coin toss between the F-1X and the 201S, so basically, I went along with the consensus of the Berg owners from a thread I ran on the subject (plus, I thought the Alembic was a tad bit too wooly for my taste and the Dem controls struck me as a little bit more intuitive). Now that I have heard it plugged into the active input, I am definantly glad I got the 201S, I think it sounds better than the DB659 set up right.

Anyway, I really like the warmth with the Dem cranked to about 2:00 through the 322 (I play with a fairly light touch).
    Wow! What a nice mix of glowing tubey warmth and punchy speed. Some tube preamps do weird things with the lower midrange and upper mid-bass; not the Demeter--very fast, transparent, and natural sounding.

Believe it or not the Berg fits in the back seat of my Accord sedan. I got a Gator 4 space rack case that has the wheels and extending handle (cool). My wife is going to make me a slip cover for the cab.

While I'm rambling on, I did a search for comments by Bob Lee on the clip limiter on the QSC amps, but couldn't find anything really helpful (I could swear I remember Bob having some comments on it before). Anyone have any input on whether the amp sounds better with the clip limiter on or off?

Have rig; will gig.

2. Sweet rig! That is the exact rig I will have when I find my Demeter(where and how much did you pay for the 201?) I am looking right now for a good used one or best price on a new one..... You have an awesome setup!! peace..

3. check the 1000 watts into a 600 watt head thread... Bob has some interesting comments that may be of interest to you..

4. congrats. :)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice!

sounds like it'd be a rockin' rig!

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Got it at Larry Morgan Music & Sound in Garland, TX (Dallas suburb). Dem Price? I can only tell you that I got a very good deal.

Thanks for the thread tip, but that wasn't the info I was looking for.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    On my Demeter/QSC/Bergie rig, I use the limiter & the 30hz filter on the QSC. Very nice rig you got:bassist:

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont have a plx i use a stewart, but i have heard fierce debate on the clip limiters in other threads

i love the 322, weird thing is i thought the bergie 212 sucked while the epi was fantastic

i ctually have an f-1x and an older 1 and 1/2 space demeter and got an aggie in a trade, it was nice but i liked the other pres better (esp the demeter) i thought the aggie was the fattest one of the 3

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, in the store, I thought the HT212 was too bottom heavy (that was with the F-1X--pretty phat, too); I suspect it would open up a lot given more room and running the Dem into it.

Yes, I definantly like the 201 the best of the three preamps with my bass and the 322.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have gigs Thur-Sat with a new band, so I will let you all know how the new equipment does.

11. "Testicular fortitude"?

Are you trying to say the cabinet has balls?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Balls indeed...Big brass cannon balls!

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks Jerry for the input.

I am going to run it with the clip limiter on and try it both with and without the 30Hz filter on a couple of back to back gigs and see how it sounds.

I read that Bob Lee said the clip limiter doesn't affect the sound as long as the amp is not clipping. I shouldn't be driving it into clipping anyway with any gigs I've done so far, so it sounds like a worthwhile safeguard.

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have a 1602 as well. Although I have the HBP-1. I use the 1602 with the limiter off. Have not had any problems. I am using a pair of Aggie 1x12's or either an Aggie 2x12.

15. Congradulations! I have the same rig except QSC2402. Love the Dem201s and HT322. I use the the 30Hz too. Also, I'm not bridging.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks everybody for the congrats.

I am running the 1602 bridged.

17. Me too!

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just wanted to add my congrats (was in Chicago for a week, no internet). And I'm looking forward to the post-gig report (I'm in a leisurely hunt for a preamp).

I have the HT310. Next big gig I think I'm going to pair it with the HT115 just for grins. I still haven't heard the 322... I probably will this fall up at Rudy's, but just out of curiosity; I couldn't be happier with the 310.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet the 310 and 115 sound awesome together.

Thanks for the congrats!

I'm loving the sound of this system!

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think the 322 gives up a small amount of clarity and punch in the mid-bass to lower midrange to the 310, but the 322 has "Huevos Grande" down low.

I really, really like the sound of the 310. There is just a rightness to its sound, that is hard to describe.
    It was a hard decision picking between the two cabs.
    Ideally, I would get both if I could afford them.