New Dem 201S, QSC PLX1602, and Bergie HT322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, May 23, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Finally got a new rig.

I am amazed by the variety of wonderful sounds coming out of this thing.

Haven't gigged it yet, but will report in full when I do.

I compared the HT322 with the HT310 and with the HT112+EX112 short stack. I thought the 310 had a slightly punchier mid-bass and a tad tighter, cleaner sound. I wasn't crazy about the 2x112 midrange with my StingRay 5. The 322 is close enough to the right kind of punchy tightness in the lower mid-bass and just seems to have much more testicular fortitude in the bottom octave (31-62HZ).

I finally got to hear a Bag End D10BX-D and it is a very nice 2x10. The dealer had just sold their last HT210, so I didn't get to compare it to that.

I compared the Dem 201S with an Alembic F-1X and an Aguilar DB659. What a tough choice. The salesperson helping me had my bass plugged into the passive input on the Dem which I didn't realize until I got it home, sounds very different from the active input (at least with my bass). At the store, with the way everything was hooked up, I probably would have gotten the Agie pre, but it would have put me over-budget. It was a coin toss between the F-1X and the 201S, so basically, I went along with the consensus of the Berg owners from a thread I ran on the subject (plus, I thought the Alembic was a tad bit too wooly for my taste and the Dem controls struck me as a little bit more intuitive). Now that I have heard it plugged into the active input, I am definantly glad I got the 201S, I think it sounds better than the DB659 set up right.

Anyway, I really like the warmth with the Dem cranked to about 2:00 through the 322 (I play with a fairly light touch).
    Wow! What a nice mix of glowing tubey warmth and punchy speed. Some tube preamps do weird things with the lower midrange and upper mid-bass; not the Demeter--very fast, transparent, and natural sounding.

Believe it or not the Berg fits in the back seat of my Accord sedan. I got a Gator 4 space rack case that has the wheels and extending handle (cool). My wife is going to make me a slip cover for the cab.

While I'm rambling on, I did a search for comments by Bob Lee on the clip limiter on the QSC amps, but couldn't find anything really helpful (I could swear I remember Bob having some comments on it before). Anyone have any input on whether the amp sounds better with the clip limiter on or off?

Have rig; will gig.
  2. Sweet rig! That is the exact rig I will have when I find my Demeter(where and how much did you pay for the 201?) I am looking right now for a good used one or best price on a new one..... You have an awesome setup!! peace..
  3. check the 1000 watts into a 600 watt head thread... Bob has some interesting comments that may be of interest to you..
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

sounds like it'd be a rockin' rig!
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Got it at Larry Morgan Music & Sound in Garland, TX (Dallas suburb). Dem Price? I can only tell you that I got a very good deal.

Thanks for the thread tip, but that wasn't the info I was looking for.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    On my Demeter/QSC/Bergie rig, I use the limiter & the 30hz filter on the QSC. Very nice rig you got:bassist:
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont have a plx i use a stewart, but i have heard fierce debate on the clip limiters in other threads

i love the 322, weird thing is i thought the bergie 212 sucked while the epi was fantastic

i ctually have an f-1x and an older 1 and 1/2 space demeter and got an aggie in a trade, it was nice but i liked the other pres better (esp the demeter) i thought the aggie was the fattest one of the 3
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yeah, in the store, I thought the HT212 was too bottom heavy (that was with the F-1X--pretty phat, too); I suspect it would open up a lot given more room and running the Dem into it.

Yes, I definantly like the 201 the best of the three preamps with my bass and the 322.
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have gigs Thur-Sat with a new band, so I will let you all know how the new equipment does.
  10. "Testicular fortitude"?

Are you trying to say the cabinet has balls?
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Balls indeed...Big brass cannon balls!
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks Jerry for the input.

I am going to run it with the clip limiter on and try it both with and without the 30Hz filter on a couple of back to back gigs and see how it sounds.

I read that Bob Lee said the clip limiter doesn't affect the sound as long as the amp is not clipping. I shouldn't be driving it into clipping anyway with any gigs I've done so far, so it sounds like a worthwhile safeguard.
  13. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have a 1602 as well. Although I have the HBP-1. I use the 1602 with the limiter off. Have not had any problems. I am using a pair of Aggie 1x12's or either an Aggie 2x12.
  14. Congradulations! I have the same rig except QSC2402. Love the Dem201s and HT322. I use the the 30Hz too. Also, I'm not bridging.
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks everybody for the congrats.

I am running the 1602 bridged.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Just wanted to add my congrats (was in Chicago for a week, no internet). And I'm looking forward to the post-gig report (I'm in a leisurely hunt for a preamp).

I have the HT310. Next big gig I think I'm going to pair it with the HT115 just for grins. I still haven't heard the 322... I probably will this fall up at Rudy's, but just out of curiosity; I couldn't be happier with the 310.
  17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet the 310 and 115 sound awesome together.

Thanks for the congrats!

I'm loving the sound of this system!
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think the 322 gives up a small amount of clarity and punch in the mid-bass to lower midrange to the 310, but the 322 has "Huevos Grande" down low.

I really, really like the sound of the 310. There is just a rightness to its sound, that is hard to describe.
    It was a hard decision picking between the two cabs.
    Ideally, I would get both if I could afford them.