New Demeter buzzing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmerBass, May 31, 2003.

1. I just received my new demeter soon as I turn it on there is a buzzing,hissing? coming out of my HT322 cabinet..IS this normal, I looked to see if everything was hooked up properly and it was..I dont know if I am missing something or what....Thanks in advance..
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey jim,

for some reason, i see LOTS of peeps wondering if there's something wrong with their Demeter pre's.

a few things to check:

- pop open the hood, and see if swapping the 12AX7 with another preamp tube will help.
    - try finding the "internal volume trim" and turn it down to see if your power amp is sensitive to the Dem.
    - try using the "active" input, rather than the passive. the Demeter's one of the few preamps that are VERY sensitive to which one you plug into.
    - try fiddling with the "presence" knob. the preamp has gobs of high end, so you might wanna turn it down more than you're used to.

you can try calling Demeter, but they ALWAYS seem too busy to take a look at your preamp. :rolleyes:
  3. I will check it out...Anyone else have some possible suggestions... Another point , the 201 is awesome I cant believe what an awesome sound that thing is capable of....I am just wondering about the hissing sound?
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope, you shouldn't be getting any hissing sound, unless you have the treble really cranked somewhere "upstream" (like on the bass itself).

joker gave lots of good suggestions. One other thing that I can think of is to check the "Ground/Lift" switch in the back and try changing the settin Another thing to check is that you don't accidentally have the "Bright" switch turned on (leftmost switch on the front, below the volume control)--that can give you some hiss if your bass or cables are at all noisy, so like the Presence control, it's something you want to use sparingly.